1. Default Vancouver to Las Vegas

I'm planning to drive from Vancouver Canada to Las Vegas, leaving mid day
    Nov.29 and need to be in Vegas Dec.1 in the afternoon.
    I am running a 1/2 marathon on the 2nd in Vegas. I have an idea of the fastest route there; Interstate's to Twin Falls ID then US93 to Vegas.
    Can anyone tell me how far apart gas stations would be in the sparsly populated areas, anything farther than 200 miles?
    For my trip home I have allowed for 3-4 days and would like to see the grand canyon, is this possible? I understand the north loop is closed at that time and it looks like going to the south end would add at least a day, is Zion park a suitable 2nd choice?

Default Hammer down!

Quote Originally Posted by pistolpete View Post
    I'm planning to drive from Vancouver Canada to Las Vegas,
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! The route you have chosen is about 2050 Kms and offers some pretty wide-open sections when you can hammer down (safely, of course) so that you should have little difficulty meeting those objectives. However, if you follow the posted speed limits, you should plan on driving at least 11 hours the first day, and then ~ 8 hours on the 30th and coast into Las Vegas on about four hours on the 1st.
    Can anyone tell me how far apart gas stations would be in the sparsly populated areas, anything farther than 200 miles?
    You will have no stretch with fuel stations that far apart.
    For my trip home I have allowed for 3-4 days and would like to see the grand canyon, is this possible?
    It is 5-6 hours (one-way) from Las Vegas to the south rim and I think you will have time to do it. Zion is also pretty special in December -- quite different from the Grand Canyon.

Mark

3. Default Thanks

Thanks for the info, I was concerned about fuel as my truck is a bit of a gusler.

4. Default use the "half a tank" rule

Quote Originally Posted by pistolpete View Post
    Thanks for the info, I was concerned about fuel as my truck is a bit of a gusler.

If you've got a concern, you can use the "half a tank" rule. Folks typically stop every couple of hours on a long drive -- to get out and stretch the legs, find a bathroom, make a sandwich, etc. If your gas tank is getting near 1/2 full, fill it back up when you stop. You just need to make a bit more of your stops in somewhere civilized -- like small towns. Typically you won't be spending any more money - -just spending smaller amounts more often.

That way, you'll usually have the fuel on board to go another 100 or 200 miles if you don't find a nearby gas station. And if you've tanked it up, and you get down to 1/2 tank with no where ahead -- you can always turn around and know you'll make it back to where you started.

5. Default half tank rule

Thanks,
    I was concerned because here in Canada it's not unusual to drive for many hours without somewhere to stop and I don't know how densly populated the route along US93 through Nevada is. I will use your advice and keep the tank topped up, thank you.