1. Default Cross country virgins need hella advice!

On August 24th 2008 my best friend and I will embark on a month long cross country road trip. Neither of us has done more than a day or 2 of traveling in a car before and have endless questions and concerns...

Tentatively, we plan to travel from MD to NY to kick it off, and then cross country from there. I'd like to take 50 out to Cali, and head back east on rt 66. 66 only goes east so far before it heads north, and we want to check out some of the south and stop in Atlanta and the Outer Banks before heading home up 95. Would love some tips/suggestions from people whove traveled these routes/areas.

What kinda money should we expect to spend? I know that will be relative to the way we live on the road, i.e. camping vs hotels. I love to camp, but have concerns about feeling safe while camping with 2 females. I plan to get AAA which will give discounts on sites and hotels. Ive also considered buying (or borrowing!) a used rv. If not, we'll be traveling in my 91 cherokee. Im covered on making the car cross country ready, and having AAA. But was wondering if i could modify my car in anyway to make it better for this trip - i.e. take out the back seat and use for sleeping, put a locked container on the roof for belongings. Any advice will help!

Speaking of belongings, how in the world do i pack for this thing? Im an over packer by nature and am always afraid i'll be stuck without something i need.

Also, any cant-miss places we need to see? We like to stay away from touristy spots, unless its worth it.

Help!

Default Great Title on your post!

Quote Originally Posted by jami_deo View Post
    On August 24th 2008 my best friend and I will embark on a month long cross country road trip.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! One of the first things you ought to do is take this quiz and make sure that you and your best friend are envisioning the same kind of trip!
    Neither of us has done more than a day or 2 of traveling in a car before and have endless questions and concerns...
    This does sound like a grand adventure!
    Tentatively, we plan to travel from MD to NY to kick it off, and then cross country from there. I'd like to take 50 out to Cali, and head back east on rt 66.
    Perhaps you would like to cut your teeth on the very first transcontinental highway ever built? It was called the Lincoln Highway and this book, will provide tips for going all the way from Manhattan to San Francisco. Here is an excellent site for planning a route 66 adventure and here is a field report from such a trip.
    What kinda money should we expect to spend?
    Here are some tips for budgeting.
    Here are some camping ideas.
    Ive also considered buying (or borrowing!) a used rv. If not, we'll be traveling in my 91 cherokee.
    The Jeep makes much more sense!
    Speaking of belongings, how in the world do i pack for this thing?
    Here are some packing tips from the expert roadtrippers on this board.

Happy Planning. You might find some of these articles helpful as you being to plan.

Mark