Thread: Changes in plan

1. Default Changes in plan

Hi Guys,

I was here before asking about the route from San Francisco to Las Vegas... but as our flight is approaching, and individual's schedule just won't match up easily...we decided to do our road trip the other way around... this time we will be hitting the road from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon to LA to SFO... here's our initial time table;

1. We will be leaving Las Vegas on the 30th of Nov. say around 5:30PM (after our conference) towards Grand Canyon... we're all going to spend the night there... which we don't know where yet... I understand that it is goinf to take us 6 to 7 hours to get there so it is goinf to be a bit late...but I guess it's safe right?

2. On the following day 1st of Dec. we're going to drive around the Canyon in the morning and head to LA in the afternoon..probably after lunch...

From here...this is our first time... so we don't know where are we going to end up at what time and place... so I hope you guys can guide us... I understand that I might get a different opinion here so I will after the most doable and less hazzle option but at the same time, we would like to experience the best part of the road trip, like passing through some scenic route etc..

What ever advice I get from here... I will print it out and use it as a guide in our trip so detailed advice such as road names and numbers is very much appreciated...

By the way, we are hoping to reach San Francisco even a little late in the evening on the 2nd of Dec. so we have the whole day on the 3rd to walk around before we head back to Hong Kong....is this possible?

Many thanks in advance...
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-07-2007 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added a link to the previous plan

Default I would cut the Canyon....

Quote Originally Posted by hokboy View Post
    1. We will be leaving Las Vegas on the 30th of Nov. say around 5:30PM (after our conference) towards Grand Canyon... we're all going to spend the night there... which we don't know where yet... I understand that it is goinf to take us 6 to 7 hours to get there so it is goinf to be a bit late...
    You will be leaving Las Vegas after dark, drive to the Grand Canyon arriving at the south rim around 11:00 pm (or later depending upon driving conditions and how long you stop for dinner). This is after working all day at the conference -- it may be safe, but it is certainly unwise.
    2. On the following day 1st of Dec. we're going to drive around the Canyon in the morning and head to LA in the afternoon..probably after lunch.
    ..The next day, you plan to drive ~ 500 miles (which will be more or less nine hours in the saddle) leaving not much time for sightseeing in LA.

And then on the 2nd you would like to drive the coastal route and reach San Francisco that evening -- the coastal route will take 10+ hours.
    ...is this possible?
    Yes, it is possible, it might be even be fun -- but I think it might make a little more sense to cut the Grand Canyon, have a relatively easy day to LA, Drive up the coast and stay mid-way -- take some time to relax and then drive to San Francisco.

You can do it all -- but you really need to be prepared for some SERIOUS driving -- read these tips about speed runs and get as much sleep before you leave as you can.

Mark

3. Default Thanks for replying...

Hi Mark... thank you for your time...and suggestions... the only problem is, everyone's mind are all set to Grand Canyon.. few of us are first time in the US and doesn't want to miss the opportunity. There's a chance that we might leave LV a bit earlier..and we're planning to stay in Williams.

Few more changes has been made in the last 2 days. We are leaving Hong Kong 2 days earlier to spend some time in LA... so instead of driving through LA from Grand Canyon... hope you can suggest a faster but scenic route to San Francisco. Do you think we're saving some time with this changes?

Do you know any other place to stay not far away from Grand Canyon just incase it gets too dark to carry on driving?

Thank you so much!

Default Just need to get here and do it

Few more changes has been made in the last 2 days. We are leaving Hong Kong 2 days earlier to spend some time in LA... so instead of driving through LA from Grand Canyon... hope you can suggest a faster but scenic route to San Francisco.
    Those routes were provided in your first thread - look above.
    Do you know any other place to stay not far away from Grand Canyon just incase it gets too dark to carry on driving?
    It gets dark here around 5:00 pm. You could stay at Kingman, Arizona -- but no matter what you will be driving in the dark.

Mark

5. Default Time and Distance...

Hello Mark... thank you for your time replying my queries... This is probably my last questions..and my next post would be our experience on this trip.

We will be leaving Grand Canyon on 01 Dec.. say around 10:00 or 11:00AM heading to San Francisco... maybe we could drive continuously for 5-6 hours (allowing few stops for sight-seeing while the sky still bright)...

1. If from Grand Canyon to Kingman, we head towards Death Valley to Lone Pine, after 6 hours of driving, where do you think we will end up? This would help us decide where to stay or if we should carry on driving few more miles...

2. Then we continue our road trip in the following morning, maybe towards Bishop to Yosemite, then to San Francisco... I know this could be a long drive...but can someone please tell us, if we can make it to San Francsico late in the afternoon of 02 Dec.? 2 of my friend will be flying back to Hong Kong after the trip on the same day... knowing our arrival time to San Francisco would help my friends to book the time of their flight.

3. Finally, can someone please confirm if the way we chose to get to San Francisco is doable and ideal knowing we only have 1.5 day to do it?

4. If we go from Kingman to Bakersfield, then to Fresno, then to Yosmite, then to San Francisco... will this be a faster route...and scenic enough?

We're just looking at the google map and have no idea where we will end up at each stop...hope you guys won't give up on me with my queries... I hope, next time I can contribute in helping others here in RTA...

Thank you all for your help!

Ronnie

Default If you only have 1.5 days....

3. Finally, can someone please confirm if the way we chose to get to San Francisco is doable and ideal knowing we only have 1.5 day to do it?
    If you only have 1.5 days to drive from Grand Canyon to San Francisco -- YOU DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO go to Death Valley, Yosemite or any other scenic detour. You must put the hammer down and go the fastest route. For you this means, I-40 to I-15 to CA-58 to I-5 to San Francisco. (You do not have time to go to Fresno, either). On December 1st, if the roads are dry you can expect to reach Kettleman City, California (about six hundred miles or about 11 hours of travel). So if you leave the Grand Canyon at 11 am, you will be stopping for the night in Kettleman City at about 10:00 pm or so. The next day you should be able to reach the San Francisco airport in about four hours, getting you into the airport area about noon.

If you were to travel via Death Valley and Yosemite, you need to add another day and half travel to the trip. You can not drive it any faster...

I know that you don't believe us -- and you think you can somehow go from the Grand Canyon via Tahoe or Yosemite in a day and half -- but even if you travel 100 mph in places it will still take you two full days to reach San Francisco.

Mark

7. Default I do trust you...

Hi Mark, thank you once again.

I do believe in your suggestions and opinion and I'm not in the position not to...because obviously, we're all lack of ideas of the actual route and the time we have to spent on the road... which is why I'm here...still asking questions...

I will print your replies and show it to my friends and hopefully we can cancel the road trip... because rushing to get to San Francisco might end up to something we're not expecting.

you provided me a very important information... and I appreciate this very much.

8. Default If we cut the Grand Canyon...

Hi Mark... you suggested earlier to cut the Grand Canyon... if we do that, can you please advice if 1.5 days is comfortable enough to drive to San Francisco via Death Valley and Yosemite?... If we leave Las Vegas say 12:00 in the afternoon.. is 6 to 7 hours of driving enough to reach Death Valley?

Thank you in advance for any further help you could offer.

Default Two hours to Death Valley

If we leave Las Vegas say 12:00 in the afternoon.. is 6 to 7 hours of driving enough to reach Death Valley?
    I drive from my office in Las Vegas to Furnace Creek for lunch. (It is about two hours). If you take that same 1.5 days, you could see both Death Valley and drive the Big Sur along the Pacific Coast and see views like this one:

[Photo by Alvin -- more information here)
    Mark

10. Default All set...

Hi Mark... I just want to say, many many thanks...for all the important information you provided.... We've finally agreed to cut the Grand Canyon...and head to San Francisco straight from LV.

I'm very excited about this trip and hoping to have a safe and wonderful journey along Death Valley and Yosemite sites...

I shall share you our experience, as soon as we get home.

Bless you all for being helpful...