Default Back and Neck Support

I'm looking for something that I can put on my driver's seat. I've got a bad back from an old car wreck (my right side is damaged from when I grabbed the gear shift when the idiot broadsided my engine going 70). It usually doesn't bother me on long road trips, but my gigging trips are another matter. I tend to drive for 1-2 hours there, play the cello for several hours and then drive back. I'm ok for the drive there and most of the playing, but the drive back is killing me. I would love to find something that I could plug in and heat up for that drive back. Any suggestions guys?

Default old and new

I think I'd just go down to the closest truck stop and browse around. I've found more cool stuff that plugs into a lighter at truck stops that you'd never even think about without browsing around. I'd bet you could find some sort of heating pad thing there.

Otherwise, I'd just find a power inverter and a standard heating pad. Just make sure the inverter can supply enough power without blowing a fuse.

Default Never thought about a

regular heating pad. Sometimes I wonder about my brain. I'll go wander around a truck stop this weekend.

Thanks!

Laura

Default I have two suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by lhuff View Post
    I'm looking for something that I can put on my driver's seat.
    I have some back issues too -- I hurt myself fighting a wildfire a few decades ago. If you go to any pharmacy you can find an inflatable donut (usually used for spine injuries) -- I recommend that you barely inflate it -- just enough extra cushion to allow your back and rump to float above the seat (not enough to get "bucked-off" when you corner tightly). Plus, just about every retail auto supply place sells a heated seat cover -- which can greatly ease the discomfort of those muscles getting compressed by sitting in car seats for long.

Mark

Default Great!

I just had no clue where to even get started. I've used some cushions that I've borrowed from others, but they just didn't work. I'll try the donut and see about a heated cushion for the seat. I think a big part of my problem is the seats in my roadtrip car. I was noticing that I felt fine driving my ancient Buick this morning, of course those seats were made for short little old ladies (which I felt like this morning). I'm betting that donut will help with some of my height issues also.

Laura

Default One Huge Caveat!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Otherwise, I'd just find a power inverter and a standard heating pad.
    Never, ever sit on a standard heating pad! Heating pads are designed to rest (without pressure) on backs and limbs, if you add your weight to the pad (and compress the elements) you stand the risk of serious burns and/or electric shock. Yikes!

Mark