1. Default November trip from Tustin, CA to Detroit, MI

I'm planning a road trip in mid of November travelling from Tustin, CA to Detroit, MI. My plan is to drive through I-40, I-65, I-71 and I-75 to Detroit. Will the weather and the road conditions are good during that time frame? What shoud I need to pay attention before starting my trip?

Any suggestion for the places to stop for lodging along the route I mentioned above.

Any your valuable advise are much appreciated.

Hi Lee, and welcome to RoadTrip America!

What will you be driving on your trip, how long do you have to do it and who will you be travelling with? Are you looking to get to your destination as soon as possible or do you have any time for sightseeing/side trips?

I am not familiar with the weather along your route but I am sure someone will be along soon who is.

3. Default big_hkkid

I will drive on my own with my Honda CR-V and I will plan 5 days to complete my trip to Detroit and I don't think I have any time for sighseeing. Should I need to plan with more days? Please advise.

Denver, Colorado

Default Detroit?!

Quote Originally Posted by big_hkkid View Post
    I will drive on my own with my Honda CR-V and I will plan 5 days to complete my trip to Detroit
    Why would anyone want to leave California and go to Detroit...hehehe...just kidding. I have family in Detroit and the last time I visited, in the late 80's, I was not impressed with the place. From what I've read it's come a long way since those days.

I think 5 days of interstate driving is plenty of time. It's approximately 2300 miles. If you drive 10 hard hours a day that should give you anywhere from 600-700 miles p/day. In four days you should reach Detroit with a day to spare. 10 hour days are not easy, but it sounds like you want to reach your destination with little sightseeing or side trips. Add a couple of days and you should be able to take in a few stops along the way.

Not sure what you'll experience as far as weather. You're staying south of Colorado so there should be no surprise winter weather. But I could be wrong.

Tucson, AZ

Default Not Quite

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Willy is correct that you can make that journey comfortably in 5 days, but you cannot cover 700 miles a day with only 10 hours behind the wheel. Most people here will tell you that from there experience, it is best to budget driving time on the assumption that you can actually make good only about 55 mph when you factor in stops for gas, food, rest rooms, and the inevitable slower stretches caused by traffic. I consider any day where I cover 550 to 600 miles a very good day indeed. Especially if you are going to be on the road for 5 straight days, you need to pace yourself and take frequent rest and mental health breaks from driving. You are right that you can't afford to do a lot of sightseeing, but if you take a look at what you'll be passing right by anyway in your travels, I'm sure you can find a few places that are worth getting out of the car for half an hour or so to explore. Take advantage of the fact that you will be passing through new parts of the country to at least experience some of what is on offer. If nothing else, get away from the same-old same-old exit ramp chain restaurants and head into some of the small towns along the way. Eat in the local mom-and-pop restaurants and take a short walk afterwards. For lodging, find a few chains that you're comfortable with in your price range and then call them or go on-line and get a directory of their locations. Then wherever/whenever you start to feel the need to stop for the night, you can find the nearest facility.

6. Default

I have another questions. For my above planned trip on I-40, I65, .. I75 to Detroit, are there any bad neighbours or cities have high crime rates that I need to pay attention and not to stay there. If you know, please let me know. Thanks.