1. Default planning 1 year see all 50 state trip

Sometime in the Spring 2008 my wife and I are planning to take a year off and see all 50 states. Any suggestions on how to plan. Departure point is Maryland.

Thanks!

Default Every RoadTripper's Dream

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Everyone here is envious of your ability to take the time to do this. I know it's been one of my (as yet) unfulfilled fantasies. So we wish you the best, and yes, we do offer a few tips on planning. You should also have a look at this description of one particularly well thought out and documented similar trip, this thread where another member discussed his plans and got advice, and all of these blogs and descriptions long distance trips. After you've seen what others have done, get yourself a relatively large scale map of the U.S. and start marking the places you'd like to see, then start connecting the dots. With a year, you can cover a LOT of dots.

AZBuck

Default time and money

Welcome to the RTA forum!

That sounds like it would be a great way to spend a year? A few questions to start you off, how much money do you have in your budget for this trip, and what is your plan for transportation? Will this be in an RV? How are you planning to cover Alaska and Hawaii?

A trip of this magnitude certainly requires a bit more planning, simply because of the scope of things, but the basics of a roadtrip really don't change much if your gone for a year or only a few hours. If I were you, I'd spend a lot of time browsing through our Planning Section, which should have more than a few things to help you get started.

4. Default

Depending on the particulars of how you would structure your trip it can be anywhere from extremely expensive to ungodly expensive. My brother and I are are on a trip that started out to be all 50 states in the course of a year and I can tell you now we won't make it all the way. First of all, making it to Alaska and Hawaii will be very expensive. We never planned on Hawaii but did go to Alaska for two weeks and decided it would be cheaper to fly there and rent a car rather than drive there. We have done things about as cheaply as possible and we are averaging about $75.00/day total for two people and I think most here would say that is pretty good. This includes camping, food, gas, insurance, cell phone/internet, etc. We rarely ever stay in hotels and most recently stayed in a Motel 6 for $45.99 in Jackson, WY. We had not had a shower for 5 weeks prior to that at our previous hotel in Seattle. We cook almost all our own food to try and keep those costs down. If you plan on doing more hotels, eating out or buying much in the way of souvenirs, etc your costs will increase significantly, possibly in the neighborhood of $150/day total which would be over $50,000 for the year.

All that being said, you should absolutely plan it and do it and you will have the time of your life no matter how far you make it. I would not trade what we have done so far for anything and can't wait for tomorrow and the day after that and the day after that to see what we experience next. If you have any specific questions, just ask!

Default Good advice, Scott, but....

I don't understand this:
    Quote Originally Posted by scott5678 View Post
    We had not had a shower for 5 weeks prior to that at our previous hotel in Seattle.
    Most campgrounds have showers. Truck stops usually have inexpensive shower facilities. At the very least, I'd get a solar shower. If there's not enough sun to warm it up enough, you can heat the water on your camping stove.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    I don't understand this:

Most campgrounds have showers. Truck stops usually have inexpensive shower facilities. At the very least, I'd get a solar shower. If there's not enough sun to warm it up enough, you can heat the water on your camping stove.
    Hey Judy - Sorry I haven't been back here in a while and just saw your post. Most of our camping has been free dispersed camping areas in National Forests which have nothing but a plot of land and a great view to wake up to. We had never really planned to go that long without showering so we never purchased a solar shower and then just kind of rolled with the circumstances at hand. I think I recall you being from Washington so I thought I would add that we stayed longer in Washington than any other state and camped in Mount Baker Snoqualamie NF, then a small campground outside of Diablo, WA and then in Kanisku NF. We had a great time at all places but the area at Mount Baker was completely trashed by previous campers and we spent several hours cleaning up as much as we could. The ranger station for Mount Baker also had the least helpful staff of anywhere we have been but I think that was because the lady at the front desk may have been a local volunteer not an actual paid forest service employee. She was much more interested in reading her Janet Evanovich book than helping us or anyone else there out.

Default Glad you enjoyed Washington...

...except for the dirty campers before you and the unhelpful person at the ranger station. I suppose people can be pigs anywhere but I've found this seldom happens when out in the forest so it's too bad you came across that. I've had great help from forest rangers, too, so I feel bad you, as a visitor, experienced that in my state. (But the scenery was worth it, wasn't it?)

I hope you've splurged on a solar shower by now. 5 weeks. No offense...but whew!

I don't recall, Scott, but do you have a website or blog for your trip? Are you tracking and posting about your experiences, your expenses while on the road, etc.? It might be handy to be able to point people who want to do a longer trip to your blog for helpful information.

Where are you at now? How much longer do you have before your trip is over?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    ...except for the dirty campers before you and the unhelpful person at the ranger station. I suppose people can be pigs anywhere but I've found this seldom happens when out in the forest so it's too bad you came across that. I've had great help from forest rangers, too, so I feel bad you, as a visitor, experienced that in my state. (But the scenery was worth it, wasn't it?)

I hope you've splurged on a solar shower by now. 5 weeks. No offense...but whew!

I don't recall, Scott, but do you have a website or blog for your trip? Are you tracking and posting about your experiences, your expenses while on the road, etc.? It might be handy to be able to point people who want to do a longer trip to your blog for helpful information.

Where are you at now? How much longer do you have before your trip is over?
    Here is a link to another post on this website that has a link to my website. Sorry if this is somewhat of a roundabout way to get there but I don't want to step over any lines here of continually posting a link to my website. The post with the link is the 6th one down. We have lots of pics of our travels through Arizona, Utah, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. We still have quite a bit of updating to do with pictures and video and do not yet have a lot of "hard" data that will be helpfull to others but there is a lot of general info about where we have been, especially on the message board.

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/forum...ad.php?t=14353

My brother and I have stopped in Nebraska to see family for the holidays and will be staying here until early March when we will be changing the scope of our trip. We have decided to attempt a thru hike of the Appalachain trail, starting in Georgia in March and (hopefully) ending in early September in Maine. It has been sad to see the recent tragedy that happened on Blood Mountain in Georgia with the (apparent) murder of a young female hiker.

The rain was a challenge in Washington but we really had a great time and Seattle was one of my favorite big cities that we travelled through.

Default Thanks for the link to the link to your website

I had visited it awhile back and had forgotten until I saw it. It's well done. I need to bookmark it.

I see you were in WA State in early October. Quite often, that is a beautiful time of year. We usually get a wonderful Indian Summer that often goes until mid-October or even mid-November. (My Native American friends tell me it's still OK to say Indian Summer so I'm going to go with it. Hope that's all right.) This year, however, we had a relatively bad summer/fall with limited summer. Rain, rain, rain. You just hit us in a very bad year.