1. Default buying a car help!

Hello everyone.
    I have a quesition and hope that someone or everyone can help me. I am an american living in the netherlands. My family lives in illinois. I come home three to four times a year for stays of about 2-4 weeks. I currnetly still have a valid US drivers licence for a bit longer and I have a dutch drivers licence
    as well. I always rent a car to and from the airports and then I am stuck at my parents and have to always barter and beg to use thiers or my brothers car. If i rent a car for the whole three weeks it will cost me about 400-600 euros and that just for one visit. I am thinking about buying a car. This brings up lots of questions. One is can I buy a car if i am not a resident. Next is insurance. I have a place to register an address and a place to leave the car while I am gone. So can i insure my car if i am not a us resident but i am a us citizen? THen also what kind of insurance do I need? Also if i travel with forgien friends how do I insure them?
    If anyone can help me it would be just great
    thanks
    deb

Should Not be a Problem
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you have a valid U.S. driver's license and a valid U.S. residence, that is all you will be asked for to register the car (as long as both the addresses are the same). I just don't see where you'll have any problem. You can also get insurance, and Mark has laid out an excellent Insurance 101. The one thing to be aware of is that most insurance companies will insist on a minimum of 6 months for the initial coverage period. I don't know of any company that writes short term insurance, so you might end up paying more for the car and insurance than you do for a rental. Finally, most policies will cover 'occasional' drivers such as your friends as part of the overall terms, but ask.

AZBuck

Default a citizen is always a resident

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'll start out with one important tip, as long as you are a citizen of the US, where you reside doesn't matter. You still get to vote and you still have to pay taxes no matter where you live, so you really buying a car for you will be just like any other resident.

When you buy your car and your insurance, you'll just use your parents address. For insurance, you'll need liability coverage at the minimum, but you're really going to have to shop around with different insurance agencies to find out what it will cost and to see if someone will have a program that won't cost you too much during the times you won't be in the US. Your friends will likely be covered under your policy, but this is another question you'll have to ask an insurance agent to find out exactly what each different policy would cover.

Just one other tip, since you only have your IL drivers licenses for a bit longer, I'd renew it during one of your next trips to the US, it will just make things easier all the way around for both buying and driving.

4. Default Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'll start out with one important tip, as long as you are a citizen of the US, where you reside doesn't matter. You still get to vote and you still have to pay taxes no matter where you live, so you really buying a car for you will be just like any other resident.

When you buy your car and your insurance, you'll just use your parents address. For insurance, you'll need liability coverage at the minimum, but you're really going to have to shop around with different insurance agencies to find out what it will cost and to see if someone will have a program that won't cost you too much during the times you won't be in the US. Your friends will likely be covered under your policy, but this is another question you'll have to ask an insurance agent to find out exactly what each different policy would cover.

Just one other tip, since you only have your IL drivers licenses for a bit longer, I'd renew it during one of your next trips to the US, it will just make things easier all the way around for both buying and driving.
    Is that legal? I want to get my licenses but I am worried that I am breaking the law or something cause I do not live here in the states or does that matter. exchange students get a license if they come here for school and are of age.
    If you know anything about that let me know
    Thanks

Default Like I said

You are a US citizen, so even if you are spending much of your time abroad, you still have every right to call your parents home your home. Just like if you were to vote, you'd be voting with a ballot from where your parents live - and you have every right to do that too.

In terms of legality, I actually don't think your Dutch license would necessarily be legal for you to use in the US. Since you are a US citizen, and you've been licensed to drive in the US, I suspect (although I can't say for sure) that your US license would supercede any license you may have obtained overseas.