Default June 2008 - San Fran to New York

Hi there

3 crazy brits have the idea of flying to San Francisco about the 25th June 2008, then driving to New York via Las Vegas and Dollywood, Tennessee. I'm still trying to figure out if this is possible. We want to spend at least 2 or 3 days in San Fran, the same in New York.

Does anyone know if you can cross the country in about 6 days?

Thanks

Dean

Default yes, but...

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Yes, you can comfortably drive across the US in 6 days. 5 days is really about the lowest number of days to safely and comfortably.

However, those 5 days mean full days behind the wheel, with very limited time for sightseeing. It also means taking a direct route.

If you're going to dip down to Las Vegas and Tennessee, then you're adding another day of driving. So 6 days would be possible, but with very limited time for sightseeing. If you really want a chance to explore Vegas and Dollywood, then I'd try to add a couple days.

Hi Michael

Thank you for your help. At least I now know it can be done. I think the route we had been looking at mostly went along route 40. How many hours do you mean by full days of driving?

Do you have any idea on the amount of miles or kilometres we would need to cover each day?

Default Full Days on the Road

If you go the full Las Vegas and Dollywood route, you're looking at 3300 miles. over 6 days that's 550 miles per day which is right in the range of what we would consider a full day's driving. On average (and accounting for fuel, food and bathroom breaks, as well as inevitable traffic delays, but NOT stops to see anything) we have found that you can only make good about 55 miles per hour despite higher speed limits, so that would be 10 hours a day on the road.

AZBuck

Default sounds about right...

Well thats pretty much confirmed what I thought we might have to do. Just need to try and balance things out a bit more I think. We have about 14 days from when we land in San Francisco to when we leave from New York. I'm sure with some careful planning we can figure it out.

Will work on an average of 55mph thought.

Thanks

Default The plan so far...

Right, I've taken some time to try and put a bit of a plan together. 14 days from flying in to taking off again. We will land in San Francisco and spend a couple of days there.

Next we would like to go to Six Flags (the one just outside LA), followed by a brief visit to Las Vegas.

The next main stop on the way should be in Tennessee, to go to Dollywood. (I know this seems strange but its just something we have to do)

After that its up to New York, hopefully with sometime to shop a little before flying home. Any suggestions on the best way to tackle this are greatly received. Are we trying to squeeze too much into a 2 week period?

Default Shaping Up

Two weeks to cross the country will leave enough time for the things you want to do. Not a lot, but time enough. Just keep an eye on your final goal. Work out a schedule of roughly where you need to be when, and start picking up the pace (and maybe dropping a thing or two) if you fall too far behind. Other than that, enjoy.

AZBuck