1. Default To tow or not to tow.

My wife and I, from Australia, are taking an 11 month trip arround the US and Canada, starting mid Jan 08. We are in the process of choosing an RV company to do our buy-with buy-back deal with. One company is offering an RV with a towed Jeep and the other is saying you don't need one. Has any-one done a long trip with or without a tow car and can recommend whether we should have one? We can see pros and cons either way, the convenience of not having to use the RV for every side trip versus the expense and problems associated with towing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Limited without a "toad"

I am not an RVer, but I can see the point of your pros and cons.

Consider how often you are going to be traveling into places that your RV may not be able to travel into - maybe a day trip through some roads with narrow tunnels or certain places that would not be passable with the RV.

I think it comes down to how you feel about towing a vehicle with you everywhere. If you are comfortable with it, then it would definitely be nice to have along with you. On the other hand, if you are not going to be using the vehicle much, then you may be better off finding a rental car local to where you are staying and then use that. You wouldn't have to worry about hooking it up every time you are moving from place to place.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default go with what works for you

As you mentioned, there are certainly pros and cons to each option. On one hand, if you just need to run to the store and pick up something to eat, you probably don't want to take your entire home to run that errand. On the other hand, the hooking up and unhooking a car, and towing are all extra hassles and costs that you might not want to deal with.

If it were me it would come down to this: are you planning to spend long periods of time (a week or more) at individual locations? If that is the case, then I would probably add the extra vehicle if you can afford it. If you plan to really keep moving, then it probably wouldn't be worth the extra hassle.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Now Here and nowhere at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by AussieNomads View Post
    Has any-one done a long trip with or without a tow car and can recommend whether we should have one?
    I spent 6.5 years on the road in both a custom-built class C and larger class A motorhome. (Here is an article which discusses the various types of RVs). My personal view is that carrying a "toad" (a towed vehicle) is an un-neccesary distraction. One of the benefits of a RV is finding the sweet spot between "Now Here" and being nowhere and relying on a toad to get around sort of defeats that realization. As far as shopping goes -- it is not that big a deal to use grocery story parking lots and you only have to pack up the groceries once. We have two expert RV'ers on staff who can certainly answer your questions about this issue. You can find their e-mail links on any of their articles about the RV lifestyle.

You might find some of these resources very helpful as well as you plan your trip:

A brand new book on Rental RV Holidays
    A discussion about the perfect length of RVs
    An overview for renting RVs
    A Checklist you ought to read, study and use when you pick-up your rental
    Some boondocking tips and techniques