Kiwi Rv'rs Guest

Default Kiwi RV'r planning the trip of a lifetime

Our family had the pleasure and priviledge to live for 4 years in Dayton OH 20 years ago and greatly enjoyed out time there including some camping in the surrounding State Parks in a pop up all those years ago.

We (now just 2 of us) have decided to do a bit of a memory lane thing and will be coming back in June 08 to do a 2week trip based out of New York but exploring the surrounding area - Boston, Washington,,,,,sound too much?

We would love some advise from experienced RVers, we don't want to take too much on but this is the trip of a life time.

All advice greatfully received.

Kiwi Rv'rs

Tucson, AZ

Default Welcome Back

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Not being an RVer myself, let me point you to some of the resources here put together by people who are. In particular, check out their advice on how to rent an RV and RV safety.

The BosWash Corridor is one of the most heavily urbanized sections of America. It would certainly be difficult to navigate an RV down the narrow, twisting streets of downtown Boston, for example. Nevertheless, the area can be explored by RV if you are willing to step a bit sideways and see some of the quieter attractions rather than the hearts of the big cities. Certainly there are state parks in Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and the smaller states of the region that will make your camping trip not only doable but quite enjoyable. One can drive from Boston to Washington in a single day, so having two weeks to poke around will let you see quite a lot without feeling rushed. If there are specific types of venues or activities that you're interested in, be sure to speak up.

Default I've read Megan's book...

I'm sure Mark can offer tips about driving an RV into the centre of a major city..! :)

Why are you plannng on hiring an RV? Nothing at all against them but it'll be really expensive and, for a short trip (including visits to several major cities), it might be more practical, faster to get around and cheaper to rent a car and stop at motels and hotels along the route. Something to ponder anyway...

Kiwi Rv'rs Guest

Thanks AZBuck and UKCraig, the RV is part of the deal if you know what I mean.

We have already decided to do this with an RV and appreciate the issues about city driving etc however the flexibility especially just stopping at the side of the road where there is a great view etc, which is what we look forward to.

Anyway - have just ordered Streets & Trips, I am advised this is really good to find places and plan the trip.

Cheers and thanks again

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Boondocking -- Some tips

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Rv'rs View Post
    Thanks AZBuck and UKCraig, the RV is part of the deal if you know what I mean.
    Understood -- one of the best things about RVing is the chance to do boondocking -- here is a great overview about how it is done here.

Kiwi Rv'rs Guest

Default Kiwi RV'r planning the trip of a lifetime

Hi, my wife and I are planning a visit to New York for 4 or 5 days in June 08 for my 60th, followed by a 2 week RV tour up through Boston, New England and back to the big apple for a party with our friends before we head back to NZ.

We lived in the US 20 years ago and loved your country but especially the East Coast and camping in State Parks - in those days it was a trailer tent with the kids. This time it is just the 2 of us and we need to maximise our time in this wonderful part of the world.

We would really appreciate some advise about what we should focus on, you never know when we will get the opportunity again.

The name of a great restaurant in NY would also be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Kiwi RV'rs

Central California

Default RV experience...

...we have had lots in that area.

Hi, and welcome back.

The choices of places to camp in Washington, DC, New York and Boston are pretty limited (far from the key sights you'll want to visit), and driving an RV of any size into any one of these cities borders on foolhardy. (Remember, it has been 20 years since you drove on the "wrong side of the road").

So, I'd suggest that you look into renting a 19 foot camper-van or very small 20 foot class C, though, either way you may have to climb a bit to get into bed. The advantages are obvious, but primarily you can parallel park them along the street, or even in many parking lots near or at your destination.

If you get anything larger you'll be forced to use public transportation to get around, which still isn't always convenient in this country.

A decent New England guidebook will give you enough ideas to fill a lifetime, so 2 weeks should be easy. As you well know, the history and scenery in that area are second to none. We especially like the history of such places as Fort Ticonderoga and Fort at #4, Canterbury Shaker Village, Hancock Shaker Village, Mount Vernon, Strawbery Banke (yes the spelling is correct), Plimoth Plantation and Sturbridge Village. The scenery in New Hampshire and Vermont will keep your eyes popping and your cameras snapping mile after mile.

Have a great trip, and Happy Birthday,

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years