1. Default Two Irishmen on Harleys, coast to coast in 1 month?

Hey folks!

Myself and a mate have recently started talking about the idea of taking a month of work, flying out to the USA and renting motorbikes for a coast to coast trip of a lifetime.

We're still at the very beginning of the planning stage but at the moment the basic idea is:

- Rent a motorbike each (Harley Davidsons probably - I mean what else would we get? ;)) on the East Coast, probably New York.
    - Travel west on a route yet to be decided, stopping off at various places that interest us along the way.
    - Camp most of the time but probably stay in motels/hotels some of the time
    - End up on the west coast, probably San Francisco.

At the moment we figure that we can reasonably cover about 6,000 miles in that month - an average of about 45mph, riding for an average of 6 hours per day should let us cover about 6,000 miles in just under 23 days, leaving a couple of days either side of the trip and the odd day here and there of not riding.

We have some very initial questions that we would like advice about, especially from bikers that have done a similar trip, but any advice at all is appreciated:

- Is our goal of 6,000 miles in a month totally unrealistic? Is 6 hours a day, for 23 days going to kill us? :)
    - Does anyone know if we need to do anything special about our bike licenses before we go, maybe get them checked or verified or something odd like that?
    - In Ireland, when you pass your bike test you are only allowed to ride a bike of 33BHP or less for the first two years. Does any similar law exist in the USA?
    - Are there any good deals we should be on the look out for - maybe monthly camping deals or fuel discounts etc? Maybe there are web sites out there that would be useful that we might not know about?
    - Lastly, are there any MUST see places that we should include on our route?

Hopefully, this is the first of many posts by me in this great community!

Cheers,

IrishStevo

Default Easy Rider -- 2007

Quote Originally Posted by IrishStevo View Post
    Myself and a mate have recently started talking about the idea of taking a month of work, flying out to the USA and renting motorbikes for a coast to coast trip of a lifetime.
    Sounds pretty dang cool -- but 6000 miles in 23 days would certainly earn you the hard-seat award! I think your estimates are pretty much in line -- but that is still a lot of hard riding. Unfortunately, I am not a rider and so can't offer tips that would be especially helpful. I can suggest that you visit Tim Mayhew's (Pashnit) web site for some truly inspired suggestions.
    - Rent a motorbike each (Harley Davidsons probably - I mean what else would we get? ;)) on the East Coast, probably New York.
    - End up on the west coast, probably San Francisco.
    One possible route would be to follow the original Lincoln Highway (some of it has never been paved -- you might need to skip those spots...) it was the very first transcontinental highway ever built in the USA. Here is a great book that outlines the route. Plus, the author has created a new site with current information about the route -- you have to check out the story about the BEAR!!!!!
    - Is our goal of 6,000 miles in a month totally unrealistic? Is 6 hours a day, for 23 days going to kill us? :)
    I have done ~10,000 miles in about three weeks -- but I was much younger and dumber in those days -- If you are both skilled riders -- 6000 miles is probably OK.
    - Does anyone know if we need to do anything special about our bike licenses before we go, maybe get them checked or verified or something odd like that?
    Again, I would ask Tim for suggestions.
    - Are there any good deals we should be on the look out for - maybe monthly camping deals or fuel discounts etc? Maybe there are web sites out there that would be useful that we might not know about?
    I would look at our trip planning site reviews and look at this brand new option -- some of the travel booking services might be helpful to you. I would certainly get AAA service and possibly a KOA membership.
    - Lastly, are there any MUST see places that we should include on our route?
    You have to share with us what such a place would be for you -- I can honestly think of several hundred such places ---

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-31-2007 at 09:56 PM. Reason: more news on the Lincoln Highway

Default a 4 wheeled perspective

Welcome to the RTA forum!

I'm not a biker, but it looks like your trip is pretty good on paper. Even if you overestimate your daily miles, you still would easily be able to go coast to coast with plenty of time for exploration over the course of a month,

I'm not sure of any exact motorcycle license restrictions, but generally speaking, as long as you are legal to drive your motorcycle in Ireland, you should probably just fine driving it in the US.

As far as good deals, I would say the National Parks Pass, giving you admission to all the national parks for $80 (camping fees are extra) will be something you'll surely want to get. You can also find hotel coupon books at travel centers and truck stops which can usually get you some decent deals, although read the fine print for blackout days and dates. Some fuel chains have discount or rewards programs that could add up during your trip, but they are often tied to a credit card, a lot of chains are only regional and wouldn't follow you from coast to coast.

4. Default

Thanks for the answers guys.

I can suggest that you visit Tim Mayhew's (Pashnit) web site for some truly inspired suggestions.
    That's a very nice website - loads of good bike info. Thanks!

One possible route would be to follow the original Lincoln Highway (some of it has never been paved -- you might need to skip those spots...) it was the very first transcontinental highway ever built in the USA.
    I'd never actually even heard of this before but it sounds great - will definitely be including some of it in our route.

I would look at our trip planning site reviews and look at this brand new option -- some of the travel booking services might be helpful to you. I would certainly get AAA service and possibly a KOA membership.
    As far as good deals, I would say the National Parks Pass, giving you admission to all the national parks for $80 (camping fees are extra) will be something you'll surely want to get. You can also find hotel coupon books at travel centers and truck stops which can usually get you some decent deals, although read the fine print for blackout days and dates.
    Excellent. Thanks for the tips!

Hows the craic Stevo boy... meself and the auld doll just came back from the U.S hired a H.D and done 4000 miles in 15 days so 6000 in a month, no bodder. We done mostly route 66 with a langerload of detours so any help I can give you I will. Just have a full Irish license that'll do the finest. I'm in Cork so we aren't too far apart