1. Default Washington State to Florida

Hello everyone! What a neat site!!

My family and I are moving from Washington State to the mid-central east coast of Florida this Summer. My husband, 10-year-old son and I (not to mention two small dogs and three cats, sigh) are planning on driving down, with our daughter coming later.

Any recommendations to routes we should take, things to stop and see - I'm sure our son will be bored out of his skull, so we'd like to find some neat things for him to check out. We'd like to do this in about 10 days or so. I've checked out some pet friendly accomodations from one of your links, which is great.

Any thoughts much appreciated, thank you!

Holly

2. Default

You should go down I-5 to Portland, then go I-84 east and get very scenic views of the Columbia River.

3. Default

Hi! We're actually going out from Spokane, I should have specified that.

Default Family Road Trips!

Quote Originally Posted by diva70 View Post
    My husband, 10-year-old son and I (not to mention two small dogs and three cats, sigh) are planning on driving down, with our daughter coming later.
    Sounds like a great adventure! Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Here are some tips for planning family road trips (your son is the perfect age for such an adventure!) and some tips for the family critters. Here is a great book you can use for adding some history-laden stops. I think that a 10-day trip would be perfect for a nice exploration of the country -- but the challenge of taking care of the critters on those extra days, might suggest that you speed up the pace a little. Moving a household and holiday road trips rarely go that well together.

But there are hundreds of folks who have embarked on moves no less challenging than the one you have suggested so, we invite you to take a look around and see what others have done.

Mark

5. Default

Great, thanks so much!

Here's our basic outline, I think:

Spokane to Pocatello, ID
    Pocatello to Moab, UT
    Moab to Pueblo, CO
    Pueblo to Roswell, NM (with a short stop in Santa Fe to see a pal)
    Roswell to San Antonio, TX
    San Antonio to New Orleans, LA
    New Orleans to Tallahassee, FL
    and then from there just down the West coast, probably stopping somewhere around Sanibel, then cutting across and up to the Indialantic area.

I think we're actually going to want to stay in places outside of the major cities, rather than the cities themselves.

However, this is just a general thought, cutting down through the south - we maybe should try cutting across the midwest or north, not positive.