1. Default Need advice for my white christmas trip 2007

Hi all,

I would like to seek suggestion/advice on my trip itinerary as below:

19-Dec-07
    - Arrived at LAX (evening)
    - go around Hollywood area (walk of fame, chinese theater etc)

20-Dec-07
    - Universal Studio whole day
    - drive to Anaheim, overnight there

21-Dec-07
    - Disneyland whole day, overnight there

22-Dec-07
    - Disneyland whole day, overnight at Anaheim

23-Dec-07
    - drive to San Diego, stop by along the beach on the way <-- need suggestion where to stop
    - Sea World 10am open
    - overnight here

24-Dec-07
    San Diego wild animal park maybe
    Depart to Las Vegas, Count down, overnight

25-Dec-07
    - 2nd day @ LV, overnight

26-Dec-07
    - drive to Antelope Canyon
    - stop-by Horseshoe Bend, Upper Canyon tour, Lower Canyon tour, Powell Lake
    - ovenight at Cameron

27-Dec-07
    - Grand canyon sunrise
    - drive back to Las Vegas
    - stop-by Hoover Dam/Lake Mead
    - overnight at Las Vegas

28-Dec-07
    - fly back

Please comment!

Sounds good. I'm jealous!

Where are you flying in from? If it's long haul then you may struggle to haul yourself around Hollywood on the day you arrive. Unless you're better at me than sleeping on the flight, of course.

Default Cameron Overnight?

One little concern, have you looked into your lodging in Cameron yet? I'm not sure if there are any hotels there, and I suspect whatever is there will probably fill up quickly since during the holidays.

Default New Year's Eve?

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish11 View Post
    I would like to seek suggestion/advice on my trip itinerary:
    It is too bad you can stay in Las Vegas through New Year's Eve -- it is (nearly) always a grand show.

With respect to the LA portion of your trip -- you might find the advice about visiting Los Angeles helpful on this post.
    23-Dec-07
    - drive to San Diego, stop by along the beach on the way <-- need suggestion where to stop
    Laguna Beach would be my choice and in particular -- Crystal Cove State Beach (just north of Laguna)

Here are some suggestions from Gen for exploring San Diego.
    Depart to Las Vegas, Count down, overnight
    What does "Count down, overnight" mean? Here are some route suggestions between San Diego and Las Vegas.
    26-Dec-07
    - drive to Antelope Canyon
    - stop-by Horseshoe Bend, Upper Canyon tour, Lower Canyon tour, Powell Lake
    - ovenight at Cameron
    This is going to be an exhausting day -- but fun!

Mark

5. Default Comments...

Hello flyingfish11, but my first comment is where are you flying in from? And at what time?
    >19-Dec-07
    >- Arrived at LAX (evening)
    >- go around Hollywood area (walk of fame, chinese theater etc)
    The reason for this, is that it's going to take you maybe 90 minutes (max) to collect your luggage, get through customs (if you're from overseas), make your way to the rental car, and head for Hollywood. Dec 19th is a Wednesday, so you may have to compete with rush hour traffic to get to Hollywood -- there are not easy routes to it during rush hour. Even without rush hour its going to be from 30-45 minutes to get there (just the distance involved -- its at least 15 miles via city surface streets. If for exmaple, you arrive at 6 PM, you may not be getting to Hollywood until 8 pm -- after dark, and after potentially a long day of traveling. You really might consider just heading for the hotel to recover from jet lag.

If you want to sightsee the area, I would pick one place and do it. Grauman's Chinese for example -- then head for the hotel. Another option would be dinner in Hollywood at somewhere like the Yamashiro Sky Room (link) (The sky room is NOT cheap, but its right in Hollywood (on the hill behind Grumman's Chinese, and has a wonderful view and a decades long reputation for good food). You're probably 30 minutes from Hollywood to Universal Studios area.
    >20-Dec-07
    >- Universal Studio whole day
    >- drive to Anaheim, overnight there
    Again, beware of rush hour traffic. Just be aware that from Universal Studios in Universal City to Disneyland in Anaheim is a minimum of 35 miles on one of the more congested freeways in the area.
    >21 & 22 Dec-07
    >- Disneyland whole day, overnight there
    [ ... ]
    >23-Dec-07
    >- drive to San Diego, stop by along the beach on the way <-- need >suggestion where to stop
    >- Sea World 10am open
    >- overnight here
    Depending upon what you like, probably the most scenic route to San Diego is to cut over to PCH (Coast Highway) and take it south along the coast. If you're in Anaheim, you'll have to back track a bit to do this. Interesting places along the way (withouth a lot of backtracking) include:

- Huntington Beach, which claims itself to be "Surf City"
    - the "Gold Coast" from Newport/ Corona Del Mar/ through Crystal Cove and Laguna Beach. Lots of high end places in Newport Beach (the center of the "OC") and Crona Del Mar.
    For a place to stop, I'd pick Laguna Beach to explore the town a bit -- its an artists community with lots of art galleries and small stores. The other suggestion made was Crystal Cove, which is a State Beach and is interesting to explore for tidepools and the like. (the Las Trancos area has some old historic cabins as well as easy access to the beach and tidepools, and a small restaurant).

Another place you might stop is the Dana Point Marine Institute. There's access to the Dana Point Marine Sanctuary behind the Institute with tidepools and the like, as well as the Marine Institute's museum. There's usually a replica of a 19th centure saling ship there are well (Dana Point was named for Richard Dana from "2 Years before the Mast", as this was his port of call in California), plus whale and sea life watching expeditions from the Marine Institute.

Other folks I know would push for more towards San Onofre (the beach), or Dana Point (the village -- high end stores and a nice beach/ ocean overlook, plus a small Marine Institute at the Scripps Marine Institute near UCSD).
    >24-Dec-07
    >San Diego wild animal park maybe
    >Depart to Las Vegas, Count down, overnight
    An alternative might be Balboa Park with the San Diego Zoo, plus a dozen or so musuems, and the old gas-light district in downtown San Diego. From SD to Las Vegas will be about 6-7 hours drive, so you won't be spending a lot of time before hitting the road.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-30-2007 at 02:55 PM. Reason: added quotes for format clarity

Default Excellent reality checks

Larrison, another excellent post with tips for traveling around LA.

Mark

7. Default Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Hi all,
    I am really glad to get your inputs :)
    I know it's really a short trip, where I cant really cover all the places of interest. That's why I need to plan well.

Actually, I will be flying from Malaysia. I dont think that would be a problem as we just need to have a short drive to Hollywood area to rest. What I'm worried is the traffic jam as mentioned by Larrison. It would take up my time and that would be bad.

What I am worrying is the road condition, especially to Grand Canyon. Since it's winter time, I am just afraid the road condition is bad and I dont have travel experience during winter. Well you know, fixing those chain on the tyres or something :( Really hope this wont happen.
    And for the Cameron lodging, I already booked the motel at Cameron trading post. I stayed there before and it needs ~1hour to reach Grand Canyon. Hopefully I can make it for the sunrise.

I will try to get all the maps and see where can I stop-by along the way. Will update you all on this and get your inputs.

All in all, really thanks for your inputs. Suprise to see responds from you all :)

8. Default Meteor Crater?

Hey hey,
    Just a quick question. Is Meteor Crater worth to visit? I am still planning for the trip.
    Suppose I plan to visit Upper & Lower Antelope Canyon, but not sure if it's worth my time to visit both or just Upper canyon will do.
    If it's just upper canyon, I am not sure what else can I do at the area? Go for Monument Valley? Will it be far? We're staying at Cameron Trading Post as the next day we'll be visiting Grand Canyon for sunrise hopefully.

Thanks for the advice :)

9. Default Direction: Las Vegas to Upper Antelope Canyon???

Hi there,
    I just realise that actually we can go to antelope canyon via US15? It takes 4hrs++ only. All the while I thought we should go through Flagstaff?

Can anyone comment on this? Which road is safer/preferable in this winter travelling?

THanks.

Your opinion on Meteor Crater may vary from mine but, personally, I thought it was an utter waste of time. To be fair my opinion may have been different if it hadn't been blowing a hooly and we could have walked the rim. But I suspect... probably not.