1. Default Help - Planning 30 day cross country RV trip with wife/2kids

Hi,

I'm trying to plan a summer 2008 30 day cross country trip in a 30 foot class C (with wife and 2 kids ages 9 and 12). Have never RV'd before but the family stays on our 27 foot cabin cruiser boat approx. 25 nights a year (10 days at time in Keys, etc) and go tent camping at least twice a year for week at a time - so I feel we know most of the challenges, pitfalls, etc. (I find it hard to belive that anything could be more trouble/pain in the rump than owning and maintaing a large boat).

Our proposed route of major stops is : Start in Orlando - Grand Canyon - Disneyland - Lake Tahoe - Redwood NP, - Portland - Seattle - Vancouver - Glacier NP - Yosemite - Mt Rushmore - St Louis - Graceland, TN - Orlando.

I realize it is whrilwind, but what do you all think? Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Default A Zephyr Maybe

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Compared to some of the trips that we have seen proposed on this site, 30 days for a circuit of the US is positively leisurely. You seem to have the logistics of your travel worked out, and yes, I think you'll find many similarities between life in an RV and life on a boat. The main piece of advice I'd have for you is to get the kids involved in the planning so that this becomes their trip as well. Maybe get a big map of the U.S. and post it in the family room, garage. wherever, and mark the basic route. Then let the kids suggest places they'd like to see. Have them do a little research - How do we get there? When is the place open? How much does it cost? What's there to do there? And live with some of their choices. Other than that, check through the many planning pages and RV pages for more general tips.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 10-29-2007 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nocvan2 View Post
    Our proposed route of major stops is : Start in Orlando - Grand Canyon - Disneyland - Lake Tahoe - Redwood NP, - Portland - Seattle - Vancouver - Glacier NP - Yosemite - Mt Rushmore - St Louis - Graceland, TN - Orlando.

I would bypass Disneyland. Using my boundless powers of deductive reasoning I determined you have seen Disney World because you're starting and ending your trip in Orlando :) . Disneyland won't be too different. Then again, you are traveling with a 9 and 12 year old. I would leave it up to them and odds are, they'll want to visit.

While in South Dakota but sure to stop in the Crazy Horse Memorial. It's about 20-30 minutes from Mt Rushmore and well worth the stop. There's a KOA in between Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse. They have tons of amenities for the kids. Pool, bounce house, miniature golf, horse back rides, etc. It may be worth checking them out.

If time allows you may want to add Colorado and the Rocky Mountains to your itinerary. You'll sort off be in the area and it's well worth seeing. The mountains in summer time are spectacular. If you do head to Colorado I suggest a day or two to see Great Sand Dunes National Park, http://www.nps.gov/grsa/. They are in South Central Colorado near Pueblo. It's one of my favorite spots.

Just a few rambling thoughts.

Thanks
    Willy