1. Default Need Help Planning West Coast Road Trip!!

Hi, myself and some friends plan to roadtrip America this coming June-July (2008).

The only thing I know is that we must first fly to New York for a few days, then fly to the west coast and buy a car / hire a car / or bus it(??) with the intension of ending in California. (we obviously want to see and do as much as possible along the way).

We only have THREE WEEKS, and I guess i want some advice on the best way of getting this organised ie best route, travel mode etc...

How old do you need to be to get insured on a hired or bought car?? Any ideas of cost of the who thing ie minimum and maximum!!

We're all 23-25 yrs and celebrating graduating ... so its gotta be GREAT!!

Thanks for reading, hope you can help,
    Sarah Drake xxxxxxxx

Green County, Wisconsin

Default variables

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I assume when you say "fly" to the west coast, you're actually talking about driving there and making this a roadtrip?

As far as your transportation, I'd say renting a car will be your best bet. You'll pay a premium for having drivers under age 25, and you'll have to pay a one way drop off fee, but its really the only way to really get around and do whatever you'd want to do. Buying a car will be infeasable, and more expensive for this short of a trip, going by bus or train would be much cheaper, but the city to city mass transit system in the US isn't the most enjoyable way to travel, and you're pretty limited on where you can go.

As far as routes, that's all going to be dependent upon what you want to see. It takes about 5 days to drive coast to coast, so three weeks will give you lots of opportunities to find a wide range of places to explore.

3. Default West Coast Road Trip

What a fun trip you are going to have. I am 26 years old and I grew up in California, so hopefully I can give you some must see tips.

Depending how much of the West Coast you are planning on doing, I would recommend starting in San Francisco, CA [about 2 or 3 days here]. From there you could go to Napa Valley (California's wine country) [1 day]; down to Big Sur & Monterey(beautiful beach communities with a great sea aquarium)[1 day]; From there you can take highway US-1 which runs along the ocean all the way down to San Diego.

Other cool places to check out along the way:
    - Santa Barbara [ 1 day]. College town on the ocean. Lot's of surf, sand, restaurants and shopping.
    - Los Angeles (it's a sprawling city. Fun places to see while there are Santa Monica, Hollywood, Beverly Hills) [2 or 3 days].
    - Disneyland is located in Anaheim.
    - From Anaheim you could take Pacific Coast Highway along the ocean and you'll drive through all the major Orange County beach communities (Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, etc) [2 days]
    - From Orange County you can head to San Diego. This is another sprawling city. Make sure you check out Pacific Beach and Mission Bay. There are a lot of fun things to do for our age group. If you like to go to the bars, check out P.B. Bar and Grill.

Hope you have a blast. Drop me a note if you need more specifics.

me and my friends are doing exactly the same trip... how odd. we want to see New York for a few days then fly across to California and rent a car there before flying back.

I'm 27 though and graduated quite a long time ago... due to a lack of holiday entitlement (!) we're looking to do the whole trip in 18 days (from setting off from the UK to coming back).