1. Default Los Angles to San Fran

I am from southern CA and went to school in San Luis Obispo so I am a little familiar with route 1, however I have never done one trip LA to San Fran. I would like to take my boyfriend on a road trip to show him the best of the west, but am not sure what we can expect to accomplish in the time we have. I need to get the trip to 5 days. So I need to figure out how to split it up... what cities I should stop in for lunch and continue and where I should sleep before getting up early to continue.

This what I would like to do but in 5 days not 7:
    Day 1: LA- Santa Barbara
    Day 2: Santa Barbara to Solvang to San Luis Obispo
    Day 3: San Luis Obispo to San Simeon (stop at hursts castle) to Cambria
    Day 4: Cambria to Big Sur
    Day 5: Big Sur to Monterey
    Day 6: Monterey to Carmel to Santa Cruz
    Day 7: Santa Cruz to San Francisco
    Day 8: San Francisco

Green County, Wisconsin

Default overanalysing

I think you might be worrying a little too much about the details here. There's nothing wrong with thinking about how you're going to spend each day, but when you get down into the nitty gritty of where your going to stop for lunch on a given day, you can easily get so bogged down by a schedule that you forget to just enjoy the trip.

Honestly, most people make this trip in just 2 days, so you really should have no problems at all doing everything you want to do in 5 days. If I was going to break it up, I'd probably shoot for one night around Santa Barbara, one night in SLO or Morro Bay, the next night in Monterey and then the 4th night in San Francisco. But that's just a rough estimate if you want to break things up pretty evenly. If you want to spend more time around your college town, you could certainly just go straight to SLO and spend 2 nights there, or you could spend more time farther north. This is a relatively short distance to cover, so you really can break it up however you want.