1. Default San Fran - Vegas

Hi

I have been reading a few of the related posts here and I have most of our trip sorted out but I am just stuck on one part of it.

We are arriving in San Francisco mid morning on Nov 10 from New Zealand. We are looking for somewhere to stay on the first night however because of the long flight we donít want too much driving on the first day. We want to be in Vegas on the second night and if it is possible fit in Death Valley on the way.

This is what we have been thinking so far:
    Nov 10 Arrive in the morning
    Nov 11 Drive to Las Vegas
    Nov 12
    Nov 13 Round trip to the Grand Canyon
    Nov 14
    Nov 15 Drive to LA
    Nov 16
    Nov 17
    Nov 18 Drive to San Francisco
    Nov 19
    Nov 20 Depart in the evening

If you have any suggestions as where to stay on the first night it would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Matt

Default Maybe Yosemite's Tioga Pass will still be open

Quote Originally Posted by Smyde View Post
    We are arriving in San Francisco mid morning on Nov 10 from NewZealand.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! At last count there were about 1100 threads that address such a route on this Forum. Here is a list to several of the good ones and be sure to look at the bottom of this page for even more ideas.
    We are looking for somewhere to stay on the first night however because of the long flight we donít want too much driving on the first day. We want to be in Vegas on the second night and if it is possible fit in Death Valley on the way.
    If Tioga Pass is open on the 11th of November, I would suggest staying in Mariposa on the 10th -- get a good sleep and then drive through Yosemite NP and then over Tioga Pass and then south on US-395.
    Nov 13 Round trip to the Grand Canyon
    The Grand Canyon is too far for a round trip day trip from Las Vegas.

Mark

3. Default New Plan

Thanks for you help

I have been looking at the Caltrans website to find out info about the Tioga pass however I can only find historical and current info. What I would like to know is if there anyway to know in advance as to when it will be closed.
    If it is closed would you still recommend staying in Mariposa and if yes is it still possible to get to Las Vegas via Death Valley in 1 day.

I have also changed staying in Vegas on the last day to staying in Williams. It appears to be about 6-7 hours from Williams to LA, is this correct?

The new plan looks like this.

Nov 10 Arrive in the morning, Drive to Mariposa
    Nov 11 Drive to Las Vegas via Death Valley
    Nov 12
    Nov 13
    Nov 14 Drive to the Grand Canyon staying in Williams
    Nov 15 Drive to LA
    Nov 16
    Nov 17
    Nov 18 Drive to San Francisco
    Nov 19
    Nov 20 Depart in the evening

Thanks
    Matt

Default Its still the weather

Sorry, there's really no way of knowing when the pass will close until they close it. Of course, if you could predict it accurately, it would sure make our contest a lot less interesting!

I've just got a few other thoughts on your trip.

Day one sounds pretty brutal to me. The drive from SF to Yosemite certainly could be done in a day, but after spending 15+ hours on a plane crossing the pacific do you really think the first thing you're going to want to jump into a car for another several hours? You might be better off taking an nice easy day in SF to start your trip, while you recover from the plane ride and work off a little jetlag.

You'll be able to get from Yosemite to Las Vegas in a day, although your time in Death Valley will be limited. If the pass is closed, you can still make it to vegas in a day, but then DV would be a bit tricky to fit in without more time.

Williams is a good place to spend the night, although I think you'll be looking at closer to 8 hours back to LA.

And finally, if you're planning to go up the coast from LA to SF, we really do recommend 2 days for the trip, since the coastal road is very slow and curvy. If you're just taking the direct shot up the freeway, then one day isn't a problem.