1. Default Driving License?

Hi everyone,

I'm a foreign student staying in the US this year. I'd like to get an american driving license as soon as possible but since I don't have one from my country I can't directly apply to get one in the state I'm in. So I've planned to go to Florida in order to get a driving license there, but one point is not clear on the DMV website : do I have to actually live in Florida to do that (even as a non-immigrant foreigner) ? All the documents needed are listed and I did not see any proof of residency whatsoever on that list ...

Thank you,

Tucson, AZ

Default Not Quite That Easy

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Florida does, a bit to my surprise, issue driver's licenses to non-U.S. citizens, however, it is not as neat and clean as you might think. You will have to produce a couple of documents (Scroll down to the section on Non-United States Citizens an the subsection on Non-Immigrants.) Also note that in the general information sections on getting a Florida license, that the term 'resident' is always used. At the very least, I would expect that you will be required to provide proof of a permanent Florida address. Good Luck

Green County, Wisconsin

Default where are you now?

I'm a little confused.

What state are you currently in? I find it very odd that you would not be allowed to take the drivers test in that state, just because you don't currently have a license in your home country. Each state is a little bit different, but that doesn't sound quite right to me.

Is there any reason you've picked Florida to get your license? Is it just because it seems like that would be the easiest place? I've never heard of a state allowing someone from another state to get a Drivers License, so I would agree that having a Florida license will pretty much be a requirement.

4. Default

Thanks for your answers.

I'm in South Carolina and here I have to get a beginner permit first, for six month, and then I can apply for a regular license. I will definitely do that but that would be much more convenient to get directly a license. And the reason I've picked Florida is that I've planned to go there soon.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default think you're stuck

Well, it wouldn't hurt to call the SC DMV to make sure that there isn't an age limit on the learners permit requirement. From the looks of their website, I read it the same way you do and you'd have to have your permit for 6 months first. However, a lot of states only have those requirements for drivers under age 18 or 21, so you might call just to clarify South Carolina's rules.