1. Default Really off the beaten path!

So while on the trip that my brother and I are currently on I have began thinking about alternate modes of travel and curious if anyone here has any knowledge on the following. I am thinking canoeing down the Missouri/Mississipi river from Nebraska to northern Louisiana and then have someone pick us up for a drive over to Georgia where we would hike the Appalachian trail. I know this is a little off from the usual ROAD trip that is discussed here but wondered if anyone here has anyknowledge of if this is possible, particularly the canoe trip. Thanks!

Scott
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-21-2007 at 01:44 PM. Reason: added link to the current trip

Default this would take several weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by scott5678 View Post
    I am thinking canoeing down the Missouri/Mississipi river from Nebraska to northern Louisiana and then have someone pick us up for a drive over to Georgia where we would hike the Appalachian trail.
    Scott, Depending the time of year -- this could take anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of months. Where were you planning on leaving your van during this period?

How skilled with a canoe are you? The Missouri and Mississippi Rivers can be quite dangerous. Thinking about this a bit -- I would think you would need to allow 5-6 months to pull it off.

Mark

Default Its been done...

I certainly wouldn't recommend the trip unless you're very experienced, but it has been done.

I did a search and found this article about a guy who paddled both the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. I also remember a guy in the last year or two who also tried to paddle down the Mississippi, but he wound up stopping somewhere past St. Louis, because he felt the river became too dangerous to continue. Unfortuantely, I couldn't find any internet articles about that one, and I don't remember any more of the specifics.

Its an interesting idea, but the way the rivers are now set up for commercial use, it would be a very challenging, and at times dangerous journey. I enjoy a good leasurely canoe trip, but I would personally never try something like this.

Default Some more resources

Scott,

I did some web surfing:

Here is a guy who did the Mississippi in 101 days Looks like you have to be ready to portage-- here are some tips and equipment suggestions.

Bruce Nelson's canoe trip from the headwaters of the Mississippi to the Gulf

Guided tours along the lower Mississippi River

Big Muddy Portion of the Missouri River

River maps of the upper Missouri

Just a start of the online resources

5. Default Wow!

Thanks for the help guys - I have quite a bit of reading to do! To be honest, it is just a thought right now and I admittedly have very little paddling experience, but like to think I can catch on to things pretty quickly. We will be going to Nebraska over the holidays to see family and will have to do some research. If this were to become any type of possibility we would be thinking in mid to late march which would potentially get us to the AT with time to finish by late August/September. Again all of this is a bit of dream right now with a whole lot to think about, but I guess thats where it all starts! Thanks again for the help!

Scott

Default Brrrrrr

You know the water temperatures in the Missouri will be dangerously frigid in March, right? Are you sure you are going to want to paddle in a wetsuit?

If you are going to do a trip like this, I don't think I'd want to start the water part until at least May.