Default Minneapolis MN. to Cleveland (Akron) Ohio

I am new to this site and need some help with my travels.
    I will be traveling from Apple Valley Minnesota to Akron Ohio and I was wondering what the general costs for the Tolls are. And does anybody know an easy route there? I will be traveling with my son (14) and a dog.
    Thanks!

Default nice and easy

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The route is a pretty easy one. I'd take I-94 into Wisconsin, and I-90 into Chicagoland, where you can use I-294 to bypass downtown Chicago. That will take you to I-80, which will take you all the way to Ohio.

The tolls will cost you about $20 total. It will be about $8 in Illinois, $5 in Indiana, and I think about $7 in Ohio.

Thank you for the welcome and the advice. The way you say sounds way easier than what I have found so far. Thanks again.

Default other options?

What other routes have you found so far?

There are a few other variations, basically with a few different possible routes going through Chicago. The route I mentioned is the route I take during high traffic hours. If its at night, I'll take I-90 all the way into downtown Chicago, and then use I-94 to connect to I-80.

You can also just stay on I-90 through downtown Chicago and use the Skyway into Indiana, but I rarely use that route.

Default A couple of ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Trayce13 View Post
    I will be traveling with my son (14) and a dog.
    Thanks!
    Your son is old enough to be the designated navigator on the trip, here are some more kid-related tips and here are some time-tested ideas about traveling with a dog.

Mark

Default Alterntive routing?

One said to take the I-90 through Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and then to the I-80 and end up on the I-90 to Akron. It says that there is 3 Portions Tolls along the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Your son is old enough to be the designated navigator on the trip, here are some more kid-related tips and here are some time-tested ideas about traveling with a dog.
    Thanks for the links.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-20-2007 at 03:04 PM. Reason: navigation

Default Co-signage

That is basically the same route. I-80 and I-90 join together in Indiana, and stay together all the way out to Ohio, so that might be causing a bit of your confusion.

I-80/90 is a toll route throughout Indiana and Ohio. In Illinois, I-90 is a tollway from the Wisconsin border to near OHare, I-294 is also a tollway if you choose to take advantage of the bypass.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    That is basically the same route. I-80 and I-90 join together in Indiana, and stay together all the way out to Ohio, so that might be causing a bit of your confusion.

I-80/90 is a toll route throughout Indiana and Ohio. In Illinois, I-90 is a tollway from the Wisconsin border to near OHare, I-294 is also a tollway if you choose to take advantage of the bypass.

Sorry for all of the questions but is a toll route and and tollway the same thing? Is there several place where I have to pay a toll along the way? Sorry for being so confused.

Default Different Names for the Same Thing

tollway, toll route, toll road, they're all different names for the same thing.

In Illinois, they work with a tollbooth system where you'll have to stop and pay a small toll every handful of miles.

In Indiana and Ohio, You just get a card when you get onto the toll route, and you only pay once, when you exit off the highway.

Check. I get it now. Thank you so much for your help.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-22-2007 at 11:32 AM. Reason: navigation