1. Default CA to OR to WA to CANADA in the winter

I'm doing a roadtrip up through CA, OR, WA and into Canada this December. I know the winters can be very harsh up north, but I need to know if the driving conditions will be reasonable and safe? I assume that since there are people who drive from WA and OR to Whistler to snowboard, they can't be too awful, but I would definitely like to hear from others who have made the trekk or able to give me some insight.

Our itinerary has us leaving 12/21 and returning 01/02 (2008). We plan to leave northern California into Portland and into Seattle through to Victoria, Whistler and lastly Vancouvver before driving back down to California.

Is this not recommended since it will be quite a bit of driving in the winter? Please let me know as my sister (who is coming) is concerned about road conditions saying "she knows a friend who had a boyfriend who lived up in W. Canada and was snowed in for 3 weeks." I'd like to their minds and my own at ease or at least be cautioned of any extraordinary hazards that driving in winter may bear.

Green County, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by waisau View Post
    "she knows a friend who had a boyfriend who lived up in W. Canada and was snowed in for 3 weeks."
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'd like to assure you that I know a guy, who has a friend, whose brother's ex-girlfriend made the trip once in winter with no problem.

I'm kidding of course.

The weather can be a wildcard in Winter, and it wouldn't be impossible to see a snowstorm that would block your travels for a couple of days. However, the odds are that any weather would be a minor inconvience.

Your intital instincts are fine, thousands of people travel to Western Canada to take advantage of the skiing every day and do it without a problem. Also remember, that the area is also hosting the Winter Olympics, and I don't think they would plan to have one of the world's largest events in an area where people couldn't get around for weeks at a time.

Central California

Default Wonderful trip

Sounds like a great couple of weeks.

I don't know what the average snowfall for that area is, but my guess is that being along the coast that it is much less than the Canadian Rockies around Banff and Jasper.

We Californians are pretty protected from weather that the rest of the northern portion of the continent take for granted - even look forward to. The only snow you are likely to hit in any quantity is in the last bit, and maybe on I-5 in northern California/southern Oregon. But not to worry.

If you see snow on the ground, slow down and don't make any sudden turns. Snow coming down is nothing to freak out about either, unless it is a blizzard (very rare).

Have a great time, and don't forget the sunscreen (sunburns on snow can be vicious!)

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years