Default Tucson to Tonto to Cottonwood

Howdy one and all,

We are planning a SW trip for next month, most of which we've traveled before. However, there is one leg we've never driven so I'd like comments regarding its suitablity for a motorhome travel (33' diesel pusher).

We're thinking of going from Tucson north on Hwy 77, through Globe to Hwy 188 to Tonto National Monument. Then continuing north on 188 to 87, through Payson, to 260 and on to Cottonwood.

We don't want to drive our new rig on miles of gravel, and we're not crazy about wicked, steep switchbacks, though we've done them many times. So, if there are such problems with this route we'd like to know, and any alternate suggestions will be welcomed.

Thanks, Craig

Default Gerald "Mr. RoadTrip" Thurman is a good bet

Quote Originally Posted by RedCorral View Post
    We don't want to drive our new rig on miles of gravel,
    Sections are both gravel and feature steep switchbacks. Gerald has driven all of those roads in the last couple of years and I would suggest you contact him. I will also send him a memo and get him to report on this thread as well.

A new 55' pusher eh?

Mark

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Stay off 88

As long as you stay off HWY 88, the Apache Trail, you'll be fine. The other highways you mentioned are well paved major highways. I don't believe there are any switchbacks, and no gravel along the routes you've mentioned. You should be more than fine.

Default How About AZ Hwy-79?

I agree with Arizona Brad that you won't be encountering any gravel roads.

I'd consider driving AZ Hwy-79 (the Pinal Pioneer Parkway) from Tucson to US Hwy-60. It's a scenic drive that allows for a stop at the Tom Mix Memorial. The memorial itself is nothing more than a plaque, but there is foot access into lush desert. Hwy-79 would allow for a stop in Florence, which has an old courthouse and other old buildings.

On US Hwy-60 east, you can stop at the Boyce Thompson Arboretum State Park. There is a fee, but it's well worth it. Boyce Thompson is 2 miles west of Superior. Upon entering Superior, it only takes a few minutes to visit the World's Smallest Museum (or so they claim). Continuing east on US Hwy-60 takes you through the mining town of Miami which is morphing into an antique shopper's paradise.

Regardless of the route you select, you have many scenic miles awaiting you.

Default Perhaps I am going... going...

GT,

Aren't sections of AZ-188 still gravel? And then.... oops, I was thinking of the wrong highway. Twice in 24 hours I have been corrected on this forum (with merit as it turns out).

Mark

Default Good news...

...I don't have to drive through Phoenix!

Thanks, gents,

We'll carry on with confidence. My only concern is that I've heard that there is road construction on 60 west of Globe, but I'll check it out.

And, yes we've been to the Boyce Thompson Arboretum and loved it.

Thanks a bunch,

Craig