1. Default Help! SF, Lake Tahoe, LA, Highway 1

My husband and I are planning a road trip in California from 19.12.07 -31.12.07.

We are flying into San Francisco.

We plan to spend around 2 nights (3 days) in South Lake Tahoe as we're keen skiers/ boarders.

We have booked a hotel in LA (Santa Monica) from 24-26.12.07.

We would love to see Big Sur on our way back (Highway 1) and maybe some more national parks/ wildlife.

I guess we would have one night in SF either end of the trip.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

We're from London and will be driving ourselves but keen to get some relaxation time too!

Welcome to RoadTrip America!

That all sounds good (apart from the skiing bit - that sounds terrifying! lol) and you should have plenty of time to mill around and chill. I would definately recommend the Pacific Coast Highway between LA and San Fran, especially the Big Sur section. Take your time and enjoy it, it's a fantastic drive.

Advice? erm, don't rent a convertible? :) Seriously, this part of the country is one of the most popular areas covered on this site so spend plenty of time here reading. Don't be afraid to ask any question that you have though, we'll do our best to help.

What other things would you like to see/do when you are there? There is a huge number of things we could suggest but offer us some specific interests and we'll see what we can do. eg Into golf? Try Pebble Beach.

Central California

Default Try this...

...and see if it works for you.

These are overnights:

19-21 San Francisco
    22-24 S. Lake Tahoe - 190 miles via Hwy 50
    25-26 Death Valley - 330 miles
    27-28 Santa Monica - 275 miles
    29 Carmel - 320 miles
    30 San Francisco - 130 miles
    31 Fly home

This itinerary gives you the best of California's two major cities, mountains/lakes, deserts, and coastline. My philosophy is to spend two nights or more in most places, that way you have at least a day to look around and not feel so rushed. (I hate checking in and out of a hotel/motel after just one night.

There is so much to see along the way, just look around this site and you'll find more than enough to fill your time or just wing it. You'll have a great time either way.

Welcome, and have a Merry Christmas,

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

Denver, Colorado

Default Good Itinerary

Brady Lady,

Red Corral put together a wonderful, slow paced itinerary. It gives you plenty of time to explore everything that's between Santa Monica and San Francisco.

My wife and I recently returned from a similar trip up Hwy 1 and we can't say enough about it.

One stop I would add is Monterey and the bay, near Carmel. When my wife and I drove through our intention was to spend one night in Montery. We ended up staying three nights. The bay is beautiful, and near by is Pebble Beach and the famed 17 mile drive. Which, in my opinion, was nice but over rated. You've seen one lone tree you've seen them all :) Then again, I heard of it so much maybe I was expecting more.

Monterey would be a nice day trip on your journey north.

Have fun!

5. Default

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We're planning to renting an SUV - no convertibles for us. Not with the snow!!

We've already booked a lovely hotel in Santa Monica from 24th to Dec 26th as its Christmas we wanted to spoil ourselves a little.

My hubby's now decided that he'd like to ski on the way back at the end of the trip, in case one of us hurts ourselves on the slopes! That really doesn't bode well does it.....

Hey ho, anyway looks like we'll be heading down highway 1 and back up via Death Valley and Tahoe etc. Would it work that way around?

We were thinging of stopping possibly near Palm Springs/ Hope springs as we've found a cool motel called Hope springs motel resort. Quite retro cool.
    Obviously if this is way off we're not too fussed just looked like fun!

We like extremes - cool bars, raw nature, shopping, chilling, cool atchitecture, great food, art...........

Any suggestions??