1. Default Advice needed for SF to NY trip

Hello,

My friend and I are in the process of speculatively planning our summer holiday next year and want to embark on a trip involving something along lines of flying to San Francisco and flying out of New York, hiring a car and making our way between the two in whichever haphazard route we can muster!

I'd be really interested and appreciative of any advice from people who have done something similar. Are there any places we should particularly try and take in? Are there any states we should avoid? Is the trip even feasible with the time and finances we have?

A bit of background info:
    We are looking to do the trip in late June/early July for about 20ish days (i don't think either of us could realistically take more than 3 weeks off work at one time)
    We will both be 25 years old at the time of travelling and are your fairly average British lads though we would very much like to see things that are off the traditional tourist track as well as the obvious must sees (e.g. Grand Canyon).
    We guesstimated a budget of roughly £2500 - £3000 each (for EVERYTHING) would be realistic?
    We don't want to 'rough it' too much but equally don't require many luxuries!

Thanks in advance for your help
    Last edited by junk bond trader; 10-14-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Default Airfare too?

Quote Originally Posted by junk bond trader View Post
    We guesstimated a budget of roughly £2500 - £3000 each
    That seems very doable (as long as the airfare and car rental is not included -- you might be able to squeeze in most or all of the car rental, but it would be tight). Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Here are some parameters for planning your budget. And, since I know it will be one of your next questions -- here is a bit about car insurance in the Americas.
    My friend and I are in the process of speculatively planning our summer holiday next year and want to embark on a trip involving something along lines of flying to San Francisco and flying out of New York, hiring a car and making our way between the two in whichever haphazard route we can muster!
    If you were to drive flat-out, you could cover this distance more-or-less safely (rest breaks....) in about four days and so with a time span of 20 days, you could zig-zag a bit as you make your way across the continent.
    I'd be really interested and appreciative of any advice from people who have done something similar.
    I have driven cross country about 15 times in recent years and so it is certainly doable -- but you need to provide us a little more information about what you are hoping to do on this trip. I would also strongly urge you to take this short quiz with your travel partner and make sure you are both in agreement with the scope and scale of the trip!

Mark

I just did a similar trip in two weeks, so 20 days is definitely doable indeed. I still haven't finished calculating how much I spent in total but I'm available if you have any question.

Here's my RTA prep thread, itinerary and travel blog link are in it. Received priceless helps and tips from the forum members (thanks guys!)

Default £££s not $$$s

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    That seems very doable (as long as the airfare and car rental is not included -- you might be able to squeeze in most or all of the car rental, but it would be tight).Mark
    Don't forget Mark, they're budgeting in pounds not dollars. With £3000 each and today's 2-for-1 exchange rate, that's close on $12,000 - which should easily be enough:

Flights £1200 (£600 each-ish)
    Car hire £800 (virtually to the penny via Alamo, with a standard SUV - and this includes fully comp insurance and the unavoidable $500 one-way drop fee)

... leaving a daily budget of £200 (or $400), ample for fuel, tickets, food, drink and a mix of perfectly acceptable motels and the occasional blow out at a big city / national park hotel).

Peter T
    Last edited by Peter Thody; 10-17-2007 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Add mention of insurance

Default Hmmm, maybe

Quote Originally Posted by vambo25 View Post
    Don't forget Mark, they're budgeting in pounds not dollars. With £3000 each and today's 2-for-1 exchange rate, that's close on $12,000 - which should easily be enough:
    Peter, nice to see you on here! Yes, I was calculating ~ USD $6,000 each -- But I didn't think they could find that inexpensive air fare -- but if those two major expenses are really covered as you indicated above -- then a sum of USD $400 per day is very doable.

Mark

There's some very cheap deals to be had flying in and out of New York. American have just started flying Stansted - JFK and are whacking out some very good deals. Could you maybe book a return on that route and then buy tickets on an internal flight From San Fran back to JFK? I'm sure it'd cut your costs down dramatically if that were possible?
    Last edited by UKCraig; 10-17-2007 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added link to news story on AA.com

7. Default

Thanks for all your help guys! The budget did actually include flights and car hire so we may have to work a little harder in the meantime to raise a a bit more spends. I had reckoned at getting a flight for around £350 each and car hire for £600 but it looks like I under-estimated.

In any case, good to find out these things well in advance.
    raph, really interested to read your thread, thanbks for the link.
    UKCraig, that sounds like a good option, I'll look into that.
    Forum bods, your website is excellent with some really great planning tools. Good work fellas!