Default Exact location of California truck crash in I-5 tunnel N of Los Angeles

In about two weeks, I will be in the area of the recent I-5 truck crash near Santa Clarita, CA.

I haven't been able to nail down the exact mile post or other info which would clue me in to the location of the crash and possible resulting lane or entire tunnel closures. I have been mulling over exactly what route I may want to take from entering the state on I-40 or I-15 with a destination of Port Hueneme. One option, to avoid the LA basin entirely, was to skirt westward from a point north of the San Gabriel Mtns, through Santa Clarita, and over to Port Hueneme/Oxnard from there. Knowing where this accident site will allow me to further study and keep track of a major potential obstacle.

Thanks for any help.

Foy

[Editor's Note: We prefer to keep topical news events in the Field Report section-- hence the move here]
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-14-2007 at 01:44 PM. Reason: navigational explanation

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Two things

The incident happened at Interstate 5 and CA14 interchange in one of the truck-only tunnels.

Second, according to CNN, the debris have been cleared and they hope to reopen the area by Tuesday morning.

Unless they encounter major structural damage to the overhead freeway lanes, it should open as scheduled.

Hope this information helps.

-Brad

Default They are not tunnels.....

I know that every media outlet keeps referring to this accident location as being in the tunnel -- but there are no tunnels at this location. Tunnel usually indicates that a roadway is going through a mountain or otherwise underground -- this is not case here. The passenger lanes are carried in an overpass that passes directly over the truck lanes (but it still isn't really a tunnel).

Mark

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Somewhat confusing

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    I know that every media outlet keeps referring to this accident location as being in the tunnel -- but there are no tunnels at this location. Tunnel usually indicates that a roadway is going through a mountain or otherwise underground -- this is not case here. The passenger lanes are carried in an overpass that passes directly over the truck lanes (but it still isn't really a tunnel).

Mark
    Indeed... when I heard about this, I began searching sat images for secret tunnels (thinking I missed something my last time through there), and was depressed to find just overpasses.

Alas, tom-a-to, to-ma-to, po-ta(y)-toe, po-ta(h)-toe, unless it's a 'pomato'.

-Brad

Default glad you guys answered that one

I haven't been following the news over the weekend, but when I read that query, I kept wondering, what tunnels are north of LA on I-5? I probably drove that stretch of I-5 from LA up over the Grapevine about 100 times in the year I lived in CA, and for the life of me, I couldn't think of anyplace there was a tunnel.

But having said all that, if they could completely rebuild the Oakland freeway overpass in just a few weeks after it was destroyed by the fuel truck crash a couple months back, I'm sure any problems that are taking place today will be cleared up within 2 weeks.

6. Default It's a truck only tunnel...

Yes there is a tunnel.. Most folks never see it since its on the truck route section of I-5 south into the I-14 intersection between Santa Clarita and Sylmar. You can take it in a car, but almost no one ever does.

If you have a copy of Google Earth, you can see the start of it at
    34°20'12.69"N, 118°30'48.30"W On my version of Google Earth, you can see a big 18 wheeler heading into it.

The issue with the fire, is the tunnel is under the roadbed of the I-5, and the fire directly under the roadbed. (The tunnel is under the freeway, not through a mountain). With reports of concrete and steel heating to the point it was dripping, and cracks and whatnot in the concrete, they're not going to open the I-5 roadbed until they're sure its safe to take thousands of cars a day, driving on the top of the tunne. If they have to redo the roadbed, they'll most likely have to tear off the top of the tunnel and rebuild it...

There are alternative routes around this -- but not really easy ones. The simplest is the 126 from Magic Mountain to the 14, but that's surface streets.

Default Yep, there is a tunnel!

Quote Originally Posted by Larrison View Post
    Yes there is a tunnel..
    Hmmm, I have driven the truck-only lane several times -- it has been a couple of years -- but I really don't remember driving in a tunnel....

Yikes! I zoomed into that GPS location and.... there is a tunnel.... I have never driven that section of the road southbound, I guess and or if I have -- I was not paying much attention. I stand corrected!

I can see that same truck heading into the tunnel -- what weird~!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-14-2007 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Egg on my face!!!!

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Open

According to CNN, all normal lanes of traffic are open, southbound truck-only lanes remain closed.

-Brad