1. Default Help - need some advice

Hi

I have had a good look through all the other threads but can't find exactly what I need, so could someone please be kind enough to answer this for me?
    We are travelling from SF on 7th Nov and have booked a hotel in LV for 9th Nov. We would like to go via Yosemite to see the giant trees and would also like to drive through Death Valley but don't know if we have bit off too much for such a short time frame.
    1) Should we stay 2 nights at Yosemite, as we won't get there till late afternoon so might not see much, although we won't be doing much hiking around as I am pregnant?
    2) If 2 nights, how long will it take us to get to LV?
    3) If 1 night, where else should we stop on route to break up the journey? Bakersfield seems to have been mentioned.
    4) What route do we take from SF for this trip and will any of the roads be closed at that time of year?
    I would appreciate any help as I am completely new to all this.
    Many thanks
    Lisa

Default Hard to predict today!

Quote Originally Posted by crawfordscrackers View Post
    We are travelling from SF on 7th Nov and have booked a hotel in LV for 9th Nov.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! There are probably about 125 threads that address this very route and here is a good index to the ones we like.
    We would like to go via Yosemite to see the giant trees and would also like to drive through Death Valley but don't know if we have bit off too much for such a short time frame.
    But to answer your question -- if Tioga Pass is still open on the 8th of November -- you can do everything you have outlined above. Spend the afternoon of the 7th and as most of the day on the 8th in Yosemite. Then drive over Tioga Pass on CA-120 and stay overnight at either Mammoth Lakes or Bishop, California. Then on the 9th drive south on US-395 to CA-190 and drive through Death Valley on your way to Las Vegas.

If Tioga Pass is closed -- you can do it the same way, except that you will need to go around the southern tip of the Sierra Nevadas and stay overnight in Ridgecrest before going north on CA-178 to CA-190 to DV and beyond.

Hope that helps. You can also look at the bottom of this page for some more ideas.

Mark

Default If you are unlucky...

...and Tioga Pass is closed.

Then the southern route as Mark has suggested is about 100 miles further. Still, the drive through Death Valley is worth the extra time. You'll just have to get up a little earlier.

However, if you are lucky and Tioga Pass is open, the drive through Yosemite and down Hwy 395 to Lone Pine is wonderful.

I've got my fingers crossed for you,

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years