1. Default Exotic sports car.

I am taking my driving test next month and if I pass then I want to buy a car. My budget is £1500 max. I live in a very hilly area so it will need good control and it has to be reliable as I can't afford to keep repairing it.
    Can anyone suggest a good first car?
    Also, can anyone give me a few pointers as to what to look out for?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default where to begin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There's not going to be a magic perfect car out there, its all going to depend upon what's available where you're looking. I would say looking for an "exotic sports car" would probably be about the worst thing you could buy, considering your limited budget and desire to keep repair costs low. A nice standard family sedan will give you the best bang for your buck, and will likely have the lowest repair cost.

Speaking of which, I would withhold a little bit of money for repair costs. With your budget, finding a car that doesn't need any repairs will be virtually impossible. Its better to have a little money set aside for the inevitable then to max out your budget and then be stuck with a car you can't drive because you don't have any money to fix it.

Keithville, LA

Default Sedan with a Large Engine

My first and now second car are Ford Tauruses, but they've each had the equivalent of a Mustang Engine. I think it's called a "Sport" Taurus. You might be able to pick up an older one of those or whatever the equivalent is that you can find. But I don't think you're going to be able to get a "cool" car made within the last ten years that's reliable on your budget. Sure, you can pick up a cool older car, but then the repair bills will be an issue.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you come up with.

Where are you located? From the fact you are quoting your budget in Stirling I am guessing you are in the UK?

I'm afraid that you're not going to get a huge amount for that money - certainly nothing exotic - and your options are going to be very limited. You could perhaps look for an old MR2 or MX5 (preferred - rear wheel drive!) but, personally, I'd be looking for something like a good solid 3-series BMW. If you go for something with a 2 litre engine you will still get some reasonable performance and it won't be as thrashed as a 1.6 or 1.8.

Of course there are insurance implications with all these options and reality dictates that you go for something like a 306 or Focus.