Thread: LA to NYC

Default LA to NYC

Hey all. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice and thoughts on a trip I am planning. I will arrive in LA about mid April 09 and hope to end up in NYC around the end of May.
    So far my wife and I have decided after LA, to head up to Las Vegas, on to the grand canyon and up through Monument Valley to Moab, and Denver. From here I am a little stumped as to what I could do. I plan on heading through KS, MO and up IL to Chicago. Then across to D.C. and up to New York. I would like to see a bunch of nature (without hiking for days), go to some good shopping places, historical places, if there is a good area where I have a possibility of spotting a tornado (it's just a passion of mine), seeing places with native american culture and amish. I like architecture and good food/music. Hope that helps.

If anyone has any tips and ideas, that would be great!!
    Thanks in advance
    Tristan :)
    Last edited by SLYWRX; 10-12-2007 at 11:04 PM.

Default Basic Route

Day 1 – Arrive in L.A. Explore the streets.

Day 2 – Head off to Hollywood, Santa Monica/Venice Beach

Day 3 – We’re going to Disneyland

Day 4 – Leave L.A. along I-10E for Palm Springs. Spend the day there.

Day 5 – Leave for Las Vegas back along I-10W/I-215N/I-15N. Gamble and maybe see a show. What else can we do here?

Day 6 – Leave for Grand Canyon mid afternoon? Along US-93/I-40E/US-180. Arrive and check in at accommodation. Either El Tovar, or Bright Angel Cabin. Do little walks I guess.

Day 7 – Get up early for mule ride into Canyon. Back by mid-afternoon. Leave for Monument Valley US-180/US-89/US-160/US-163 and take a few photo’s at sunset, then up US-191 to stay in Moab, UT for the night.

Question… Do you think spending a day at Arches National Park is worth it?

Day 8 – Head to Denver, CO along US-191/I-70E. Any suggestions as to sights/attractions and such in Denver? Should I spend 1 or 2 days here? I was thinking if we arrived here around lunch time and left on Day 10, that should be enough.

Day 10 – Off to Wichita, KS along I-70E/I-135S. Probably just for a day. Not sure what to do here either. We are hunting for information on Kansas and Missouri but are finding it hard.

Day 11 – Head to Kansas City, MO up I-35N/I-335N/I-70E. Once again, not sure what to do here. Will just stay for a day

Day 12 – Carry on to St. Louis along I-70E. Will stay a couple of days.
    Sounds like a great place to visit.

Day 14 – We have decided to go visit an Amish community in Arthur, IL. Along I-70E/I-57N/SR-133 Seems very interesting to us. And then carry on the rest of the way to Chicago. Back along SR-133/I-57N/I-94W

Day 15 – We will spend 2 days in Chicago. Haven’t decided yet. What do you guys suggest?

Day 18 – Not sure where to go from here… HELP! :)

Day 21 – Arrive in Washington D.C. We are very keen on seeing the sights and the amazing buildings/monuments.

Day 22 – Leave for NYC. MD-295N/I-95N/New Jersey Turnpike N

Day 25 – Leave NYC for home.

So any ideas and thoughts would be appreciated. We just need ideas and hints to make our last real vacation before children, unforgetable!

Quote Originally Posted by SLYWRX View Post
    Day 4 – Leave L.A. along I-10E for Palm Springs. Spend the day there.

Day 5 – Leave for Las Vegas back along I-10W/I-215N/I-15N. Gamble and maybe see a show. What else can we do here?

Day 7 – Get up early for mule ride into Canyon. Back by mid-afternoon. Leave for Monument Valley US-180/US-89/US-160/US-163 and take a few photo’s at sunset, then up US-191 to stay in Moab, UT for the night.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

A couple things, if you're going to Palm Springs, then I wouldn't back track all the way to I-15 to get to Vegas. I'd go east over to the Colorado River, and then make my way north.

But the bigger concern is that there simply is no way I see you taking a mule ride into the canyon and then being able to drive all the way to Moab. Mule rides can be just as physically draining as hiking. I'd alot at least an extra day here, plus a little more time to explore Arches.

Thanks for the help Michael.

I will definately head from the Springs over to Colorado River. Sounds like a great plan. Less drive time, means more to relax :)

And I knew someone would comment on that insane drive from GC to Moab. I missed a day there, sorry haha. I will ask if you suggest spending another night there, or perhaps driving to Kayenta. It's 150miles (about 4 hours drive time), and that way we can see a beautiful sunrise in the Monument Valley. And also gives me less drive time to Moab the next day.

Also, I guess you recommend heading into the Arches. Do you think a day here is sufficient? I don't know too much about that national park. Will have to do some research

Don't worry too much about the "schedule". Like I said, it's just a basic overview and days can be added, and things removed.

Don't happen to have any suggestions about KS, MO by chance? :)

Default Timeframes are tight

So I'm glad you're willing to adjust things a bit.

I think I would stay at the GC an extra night and watch the sunrise there. If you really feel you must hit the road, than Kayenta would be the farthest I'd drive. At about 150 miles, it's really only about 3 hours away. However, you are going to be driving along the South Rim with numerous places to stop and view the canyon along the way. Each spot gives a different, yet delightfully wondrous, view. I wouldn't be surprised if you would want to take 2-3 hours just to get out of the park making the trip more like 5-6 hours.

I wouldn't want to do that after the mule trip myself...so I suggest staying that extra night and then getting up early to view these different viewpoints of the Grand Canyon during the sunrise/early morning hours when the light will be delightful.

Are you really only planning one day in Washington DC? We've spent about 10 days there over two different trips and still haven't seen everything we'd like to see there. Just the highlights would take you at least 3 days, minimum, in my opinion. I hope you can squeeze out more time for that area.

Arches is definitely worth seeing. A day will give you a good overview.

If you need to steal time for longer in DC, I would take that time for Wichita, St. Louis, or even Chicago. But that's me. Get more input from others and make your decision. I think DC is one of the most incredible cities I've ever seen. But, then again, I'm a big history and architecture nut. DC has tons of both to admire.

Default Speaking of mule rides

Quote Originally Posted by SLYWRX View Post
    I concur with Judy, above -- read this field report about Road Trip Advisor Syv's experience on the mules....

Mark

Thanks for the quick response.
    Then as the majority seem to suggest staying at extra night, we shall. Oh and I loved that story about the one woman's experience on the mules haha. A little bit of pain and suffering for great rewards. My wife doesn't sound to keen on it, but it's a once in a lifetime thing. I think it will be great fun and lots of memories. Besides, we would rather get a lift than hike the trails :) But thanks for letting me know how long it may take before we get to our next destination.

Okay, so DC we should be able to spend 2 days there and leave on the 3rd day around lunch time to drive up to New York. Hope that sounds more reasonable. I don't actually have to cut days off yet. The maximum I think we will go for is 28 days. So we can put extras in at this stage. Thanks a ton for your input!

As it's just in the beginning stages, we are just putting together dots on a map and then joining them. As we find things to do and places to visit, we are slowly working out the cost of such a trip. Does $12,000 sound enough?