1. Default Road Trip to Disney around Xmas.

I'm thinking of road tripping from New York City to Orlando,Fl around December 22. Anyone ever do this trip or have advice on where to make a stop along the way. It will be myself and one more driver but we do not want to drive nonstop there. I see North Carolina is the half way mark. Anyways if someone can give me advice or link me to people who have done this trip and wrote about it I would appreciate it very much.

Default Disney in winter

North Carolina is a decent half-way mark, somewhere around the Raleigh area. The quick route is essentially I-95 all the way. Were you planning on seeing anything else on your way there, or is the destination the most important thing here?

December 22 is a Saturday before a holiday, so if it were me, I would make reservations for places to stay ahead of time.

Default Tough ride

Andy-
    Don't get me wrong, because I love me a road trip, but NYC to the Mouse House on 22 December pure curls my toes just thinking about the traffic. More on that later.

You and Tim are correct-my home state of NC is roughly half way. Raleigh, however, is not on I-95--we're about 40 miles west of that corridor. Nevertheless, large clusters of motels suitable for an overnight stop exist at Roanoke Rapids, Gold Rock/Rocky Mount, Wilson, Benson, and Lumberton, pretty much spanning the state along I-95.

Be advised that I-95 through NC is flat and straight but that much of the route, particularly the southern half, is old and rough. Excepting a small handful of intervals, it's all 2 lanes each way, too, fairly narrow for the amount of traffic it carries.

En route, go ahead and take the I-295 bypass which swings east of Richmond. Beautiful fairly new highway. From Richmond to Emporia, however, I-95 is actually old US 301 and is suprisingly curvy for a flatlands Interstate.

It's been a long time since I ventured south of Florence, SC on I-95 so hopefully somebody else will comment on that stretch.

And the traffic. Lord Have Mercy. On your travel days, due to the holiday volume of traffic, I can well imagine overall average travel times in the 35-40 mph range from NYC to Fredricksburg, VA and (hopefully) closer to 50 mph down into NC, then perhaps as much as a 55 mph average on south of here. Much of that is likely to be the always maddening (not to mention terrifying) 80 mph-30 mph-dead stop-80 mph cycle, and all bumper to bumper in all lanes.

The only way I would personally consider this trip is to concentrate my travel in the very late night hours on through late-morning, which is to say my highway times might start around midnight and end around noon. Even then, you're likely to see a staggering amount of traffic.

And if you love a crowd, wait until you get to the Mouse House at Christmastime. Yes, reserve early and often.

Not trying to be a bummer here, friend, just a realist. Tough sledding you're contemplating in these parts.

Foy

Default Holiday RoadTrips

Quote Originally Posted by andyh428 View Post
    I'm thinking of road tripping from New York City to Orlando,Fl around December 22.
    As Foy so aptly writes, (above), you will have plenty of company on this trip. Weather can be a little notorious this time of year, for the entire route as well. Here are some tips for such an adventure.

Mark

5. Default haha

ive read you all loud and clear...jetblue is being booked instead. thanks everyone for your feedback.

Default It makes more sense

Quote Originally Posted by andyh428 View Post
    ive read you all loud and clear...jetblue is being booked instead.
    There are plenty of places you can explore in the Orlando area if you still want a road trip -- but battling that I-95 traffic for that holiday week -- Yikes!

Mark