1. Default Seattle to Houston

I am driving a Uhaul from Seattle to Houston. I would like to avoid most mountain routes. Which is the best route? Time is not an issue.

Default most not all

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Your least mountainous route will be to head down to Salt Lake City, take I-80 and I-25 to Denver, then I-70 across Kansas, and then I-35 down to Texas.

You can't avoid mountains completely, but this will be your best bet.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 10-10-2007 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added info for clarity

3. Default What?

Are you sure? Salt Lake City is surrounded by Mountains and so is Denver. Am I right?

Default you can't totally avoid them

There are going to be some mountains no matter which way you go.

Taking I-80 through Wyoming avoids the major passes in Colorado. By the time you get to Denver via I-25 you are already on the other side of the mountains.

Is there some other route you were thinking of? I can't think of any option that would be better.

5. Default

What if I drove to Boise to Las Vegas to Phoenix to El Paso to Houston. A few extra miles but does that not avoid mountains. I am very uncomfortable driving mountain passes. Can you tell?

Default I wouldn't go that route

Assuming you're planning on taking US-93 for your route from Boise to Phx, you certainly won't help yourself there. You'll still be dealing with mountains, and instead of dealing with nice big freeway passes with mild grades and wide shoulders, you'll be dealing with 2 lane roads, with switchbacks, dropoffs and the like.

If you've got any fear of mountain passes, I would stay on the Interstates exclusively.

7. Default

Thank you for the Interstate info. What about driving thru Idaho to Montana to Wyoming to Nebraska to Kansas to Oklahoma. I believe the only mountain range to drive thru would be through Idaho. Is that correct?

Default no

I-90 has passes in Washington, Idaho, and Montana, and you'd be going through some mountainous terrain in Wyoming with this route.

Default I agree...

...with Michael,

Yes there are mountains around Salt Lake City, but the interstate is cut through canyons at a gradual slope so you won't feel like you are crossing mountain passes. And even though you cross the continental divide twice, I-80 across Wyoming is rolling hills at worst.

Denver has mountains only on the west side of town so the leg from Cheyenne to Denver is no more hilly than from Denver east across the Plaines, which is almost flat.

Keep in mind that on this trip, at this time of year, weather is your biggest obstacle. Freezing rain and wind can make a flat highway in Kansas into a very scary experience. Be sure to check the weather radio along the way.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years