1. Default Taking Trip SFO to ATL during late Dec

Hi All,

I am taking a trip from san Francisco to Atlanta with plans to stop by San diego, Las vegas, grand canyon, houston and new orleans. Here is a map.

Any advice if the weather during this time might cause an issue for me and my friend? I know its the winter but I have never been to the west coast and I am hoping that its still drivable and I will still have a great time. I am planning this for 14 days.

Other sights that I should consider on the way??

I am planning on renting a car but not too sure which company would be best. I was thinking enterprise since I rent from them all the time but there doesn't seem to be an option for renting a car from SFO to another state. I am 24 and my co-driver is 25 (she's international though) so i don't know how I can make this work rental wise since enterprise would give me the under 25 fee waived.... any advice would be great as well.

Any advice would be great!!!

Thanks!!

Edmund
    Last edited by edstorm; 10-09-2007 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Preferred URL Format herein

Default It is always driveable!

Quote Originally Posted by edstorm View Post
    I know its the winter but I have never been to the west coast and I am hoping that its still drivable and I will still have a great time. I am planning this for 14 days.
    The planned time interval looks great. I was a little concerned, at first, when looking at your map, with respect to the unreasonable distances between the various legs -- but I assume you have not placed all of the interim destination locations on that map? Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum. Late December along I-40 you need to expect and plan for ice storms along I-40 in New Mexico and Texas and rain just about everywhere else on the route. Here are some winter driving tips and suggestions. With the exception of ice storms -- all roads will be open and drivable on your route.
    so i don't know how I can make this work rental wise since enterprise would give me the under 25 fee waived....
    It is very interesting to know about the under-25-waiver for frequent users. I am pretty sure that Enterprise does not allow cross state transfers -- but the thing you need to do is to go to an Enterprise location (non on the phone and not on the Web site) and speak to a manager and see if they have some way of making this work for you.

Mark

3. Default

If I take US 180, would I avoid the ice storms in the north? by for example, going through el paso instead.

Default No -- El Paso is not immune

Quote Originally Posted by edstorm View Post
    If I take US 180, would I avoid the ice storms in the north? by for example, going through el paso instead.
    NO! Some of the most challenging ice I have encountered was near Van Horn (which is south of US-180) and have hit heavy ice in Dallas and Ft Worth over the years. You just need to be aware of the weather conditions and make plans accordingly.

Mark

5. Default

Does any one have any advice on what to do when at the grand canyon on december? I will be staying in one of the lodges and wanted to know if anyone had any ideas what can be done in the area during the winter. My original plan was to maybe camp but I don't know if I can actually survive..haha..

I was thinking of a mule trip or tour of the area. Not sure if these are available in the winter and whether advance reservations would be the best thing to do.

Another thing I was considering was whether to join one of the camping tours and at least have some experienced tour guides lead us through the cold. Any advice would be great.

i plan on arriving to the Grand Canyon on Dec 21 until dec 23. Should be a friday night arrival and sunday morning leave.