1. Default Month-ish long road trip from San Diego to Detroit

So I wanted to do one last adventure before I go off to college, and thought a road trip was the perfect way to go about it. I made a map and calculated the miles, which is around 6,000. My main focus is to see a lot of big cities, I think there's around 15 I decided on. I'm going to drive straight north to Seattle, and stop at San Francisco and Portland on the way. Then I'm going straight to New Orleands, stopping at Boise, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, Dallas, and Houston on the way. From there, I'll go to Biloxi, MS, to Atlanta, then north to Nashville. Then I'll drive to Louisville, DC, and up the east coast to Philly, NYC, Baltimore, and Boston. Then I'll drive down to Detroit from Boston. Here is the map I made. Any suggestions?

Default Couple of Questions

Are you ending your trip completely in Detriot. Meaning are you heading back to California after that. If so, then yeah I have some suggestions on changing up your routing.

Also - do you have your own car, are you going to be camping? Are you doing this alone? Judging from your comment about college another concern would be your age. Just because a lot of hotels have been bitten by college students and have a tendency to not want to rent to them.

Your trip is easily doable and sounds like a blast and my above concerns are more just to make sure that details are taken care of. I did my first trip at 19 and we had no trouble with hotels or anything else. So you should be ok as well.

Laura

3. Default

I'm moving to Detroit for college, so I'll end up completely in Detroit.

I figured we'd find a campground or someplace to park the car at for the nights, how much does that cost? What about hostels and cheap motels? That would be my main concern

In addition to my lodging question, can someone name some good but cheap places to eat at in the cities I'm traveling to? I listed them all in my original post.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 10-08-2007 at 04:18 PM.

Default lodging costs

Figure about $20 per night to camp. Public campgrounds often are a little less, private places are usually a little more, but $20 is a nice round number. Of course camping in urban areas like your trip is focusing on can be a little more difficult, and more expensive.

Hostels are usually around $25 per person per night. These typically are in urban areas, but that can also be a challenge for parking. Many times you may have little choice other than paying to park in a lot or a ramp.

Motels will run you about $50 per night. Sometimes you'll find a room for less, but often by the time you add in taxes, you end up spending about $50 total.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Figure about $20 per night to camp. Public campgrounds often are a little less, private places are usually a little more, but $20 is a nice round number. Of course camping in urban areas like your trip is focusing on can be a little more difficult, and more expensive.

Hostels are usually around $25 per person per night. These typically are in urban areas, but that can also be a challenge for parking. Many times you may have little choice other than paying to park in a lot or a ramp.

Motels will run you about $50 per night. Sometimes you'll find a room for less, but often by the time you add in taxes, you end up spending about $50 total.
    How far are campgrounds from the main city? I don't wanna have to drive 45 minutes from the campground to the city every day

Default an impossible question

There's no one size fits all answer here. Some areas you might find a campsite 15-30 minutes from downtown, some places you might have to be a hour or more away.

7. Default

Oh yeah, and what about the tolls? I'd say that's around 30 bucks in tolls

Default generalizations

Its pretty hard to give you a solid number for tolls, since we don't know exactly what roads you're planning to use.

Out west you'll rarely run into a toll, but between DC and NY, and then NY back west toward Chicago, you'll see quite a few tolls. Based on the sketch you've got, kind of going up towards Montreal on your way back to Detroit, $30 would probably be enough. If you end up using the NY Thruway back west, then you'll probably need to budget closer to $50.

Of course I'll always say, tolls are a very small part of the budget for a trip like this. Factoring some money in to the picture is important, but the actual amount will be a tiny percentage of your overall costs.

Default Places to Eat

Your best bet is to ask the locals what they suggest and to try and sample local cuisine whenever possible. Hamburgers and Sub Sandwiches get old really fast. And be open to the unusual. The best meal I ate on my last roadtrip was a Mexican Restaurant owned by a Honduran Couple. The food was unusual but delightful and came highly recommended by a guy at the hotel.

Also make sure they know that you're open to spicy foods.

Food in New Orleans - you must stop at the Cafe Du Monde and sample Beneigts and Hot Chocolate. I ate there a lot when I was in college. Other than that just look for the most run down place with the most people. That's usually a good indicator in any city for a good restaurant.

Laura

10. Default

Would I be able to to save money on the flight by taking a red eye flight?