1. Default L.A to Orlando first time road trip

Hi,

I'll be moving from L.A, CA to Orlando, Fl at the end of October. Most of my things will ship in boxes via postal mail. I'll be driving my car to Orlando however.

I do not mind driving but have never done such a huge road trip before. I am a single female early 30s and will mostly stick to the I-10. From this forum I gather it is pretty safe for a single young female to take a road trip alone.

My intend is to get there as fast as possible with a car, but I don't want to overdo it either. If I pass any nice need to see places along the way I will definitely stop there however. So far I am thinking of thinking of staying at a hotel in Tuscon, Odessa, Dallas (little detour to go to the 6th floor museum), New Orleans and then drive all the way to Orlando.

This means pretty much 500 - 600 miles a day drives. Is that do-able? Could I add more as to speed up the drive or should I stick to the 500 mile a day limit. Again I don't mind driving at all, however I do need some sleep at night.

And does anyone have any suggestions maybe for a different route? And does anyone else have suggestions for must see attractions along the way?
    And what are good yet cheap hotels to stay at? So far I'm thinking about Travelodge, MOtel 6, Holiday Inn, Days Inn and the likes.

Thank you all so much for your help.

Default On the right track

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you're very much on the right track so far. 500ish miles a day is about perfect, especially when you are traveling alone and don't have much experience on a long trip. Our solo travelers section could have some more ideas you'd find helpful.

The motels you've listed are just fine. You'll find that motel 6 is about the cheapest, but you'll get almost nothing besides a bed and a tv. If you pay a little bit more, for a place like Travelodge, Super 8, Holiday Inn, Comfort/Sleep/Quality Inn you'll usually get a few more extras, like breakfast, a pool, and often Internet Access. Personally, I avoid Days Inns because I've had nothing but bad luck and dirty rooms.

3. Default

Thank you so much.

I guess I'll go for that little extra then hotel/motel wise. Internet access is a definite plus as I want to keep people updated of my where abouts.

I'll definitely check out the solo travelers section.

Default Some more solo resources & tips

Quote Originally Posted by LA2Orlando View Post
    I am a single female early 30s and will mostly stick to the I-10. From this forum I gather it is pretty safe for a single young female to take a road trip alone.
    Yes, there are plenty here who do it. You can read some of their tips here:

BirdyBird's First post on the subject
    BirdyBird after her first solo adventure
    Solo tripping and camping
    Judy's Tips
    Jillian's Tips

Mark

Default Pools & more

I have had pools at Motel 6 and have seen wireless access in their lobbies. But I've never traveled with my computer. I tend to want to want to go cold turkey on my web-surfing habits when I'm traveling so I've never used it. I've had good luck at Day's Inn as well.

If you're concerned about the condition of the room from what you see in the lobby, you might ask to check out the room before you sign on the dotted line.

I agree with everybody else on the rest of what they said. When you're alone, you really need to pace yourself. Sounds like a great trip! Enjoy and let us know how it goes.