1. Default Minneapolis MN to Ft Myers FL

Hey everyone.

I am heading out on oct 20th but just had a few questions.

I will be leaving from Prior Lake, MN (suburb of minneapolis).

Mapquest says go down through iowa on to st louis then through nashville, atlanta and on down into florida, but on the way back it says go through chicago?? With the chicago route being about 50 miles longer.

I am actually flying home and only driving my grandfathers truck and belongings back to florida for the winter, he became ill and has to fly so I will be driving solo.

Anyhow I have done this trip several times always going through chicago and indy b/c I have relatives there, this time though I am not stopping to visit so i am pretty set on going down through the iowa way.

My question is I am sightseeing nut and was wondering of any suggestions that may be nice to stop off at along the way, I do not want to venture to a longer route but rather stay on the route, I am leaving saturday early morning and want to be in Florida/Ft Myers by lunch time Monday.

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

Default Lots of solo trips for you this year!

Quote Originally Posted by ew612 View Post
    Mapquest says go down through iowa on to st louis then through nashville, atlanta and on down into florida, but on the way back it says go through chicago??
    Yeah, that is weird. I can't imagine any advantage of cutting east to Chicago -- especially with the traffic around the urban core. However, I do get the routing via I-94 instead of I-35 (it is the hypotunuse of the triangle -- but I still think you can make better time by I-35 to Des Moines and then I-80 to I-74 to Indy and then I-75 to Florida.

By the way, how did the drive from Dallas to Minneapolis last summer go?
    My question is I am sightseeing nut and was wondering of any suggestions that may be nice to stop off at along the way, I do not want to venture to a longer route but rather stay on the route, I am leaving saturday early morning and want to be in Florida/Ft Myers by lunch time Monday.
    I know you have driven this distance many times, but it is still ~1625 miles and so you really don't have that much time for sightseeing..., but here are some ideas:

In Iowa, you could detour a bit and visit the "Field of Dreams" near Dywersville and nearby is the Brucemore (Cedar Rapids) for your fix of Tiki culture. And, my favorite -- the swinging bridge in Columbus Junction.

At Cincinnati -there is a nearly brand new museum -- that I have heard is pretty cool -- the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center.

If you like BBQ ribs, Calhoun's near Knoxville as the reputation for some of the best in Kentucky.

Mark

Default You'll Practically Trip Over Them

4. Default

Thanks for the fast reply, the dallas/mn run which I think was 2 years back or so was a decent drive, I actually left dallas around 3pm and made it home to mn about 6am driving non stop.

I think I will try the way you suggested, I plan on driving around 10-12 hour per day and getting a hotel or two along the way, I am just trying to decide if I should book in advance or just red roof inn it where ever I may stop.

I had another question but I forgot :-) I'll post it later if I remember.

So far this year my road trips have consisted of New York to Minneapolis, Miami to Minneapolis, Seattle to Minneapolis and Los Angeles to Minneapolis. I'm just a 27 yr old guy who loves to drive :-). It can also be thereputic (sp?)!

Be safe all!

5. Default

hey would you recommend taking 35/80/74 instead of what mapquest is telling me to do
    Last edited by AZBuck; 10-06-2007 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Preferred Link Format

Default No

The I-35/I80/I-74(/I-55) route to St. Louis is a hundred miles longer than what you have, and doesn't offer anything to compensate for that.

AZBuck

Default One more option

Instead of going down I-35, and cutting over to I-380, and down to I-80, picking up I-74 in the quad cities, I think it would be faster to take I-94/90 down to Rockford, and pick up I-39 south to I-74 at Bloomington, IL.

Since you're starting a little farther south than Minneapolis, its probably going to be close in total time, but it would avoid going on some of the 2 lane roads through Iowa. If you were starting in Minneapolis itself, I think starting on I-94 and then going down through central Illinois would be your fastest and easiest bet.

8. Default

Well my brother in law and myself are heading out down through Iowa tomorrow morning.

Our first night we will spend in Nashville and try and enjoy some of the bars/nightlife

Then Sunday morning head out early and stop in Atlanta for a few hours to visit his parents then down to ft myers florida for a late sunday arrival