Default Sacramento to Orlando in 30 days

My wife and I are planning a long road trip, our first. I enjoy learning from other's experiences as I feel it is one of the best ways to not repeat mistakes. I fully realize that much of the input is opinion, but I'm sure there are some hard learned "lessons" by the more experienced road travelers. So here is our rough plan: Sacramento, California to Orlando, Fla and back with lots of visits during the trip. Timeframe: June 2008 Lenght of Trip: 30 days (give or take a few)
    Rough breakdown: 2 weeks to Florida, Visit there for 3 days, and 2 weeks back.
    Cities to visit: Phoenix and surrounding area(2-3days), New Orleans (2-3 days) Other??

Our first question: Is this even feasible to take your small travel-friendly (loves it actually) dog and try to stay in dog-friendly hotels???

And a follow-up to question 1: If you opt not to take your dog, would it be better to just take longer going and then fly home?

Next question is of course: Where would you stop along the way?

Thanks for your input. Mike

Default take the pup!

Welcome to the RTA forum!

If your dog loves to travel, bring him along! Finding places to stay with your dog should only be a minor inconvience, and it will be a lot better than being away from him for a month.

The Pets Section of the RTA Planning section has an excellent guidebook for pet friendly hotels. This article also has some good information for traveling with a pet.

You'll have plenty of time to do a lot of different things during your trip, and really narrowing it down will be a challenge. I think I'd hit the Grand Canyon before going down to I-10 and following that across one way, but take a more northerly route, like I-70 for your trip back home.

Default Nearly all places do these days

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis501 View Post
    Our first question: Is this even feasible to take your small travel-friendly (loves it actually) dog and try to stay in dog-friendly hotels???
    Just about every major chain has a pet policy these days -- here are my tips about traveling with a four-legged companion.

Mark