Thread: NYC to Texas

Default NYC to Texas

Hello all. My boyfriend and I are planning to do a trip from NYC to Texas in May. We have between 2 and 3 weeks to travel and here are some of the things we are interested in...

Cities on the way:
    Louisville, Memphis, Nashville, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, New Orleans

Any other recommendations for cities to visit that aren't far out of the way?

Sites we're interested in seeing:
    Mammoth Cave National Park (Kentucky)
    Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory
    New River Gorge (West Virginia)
    Blanchard Springs Caverns (Arkansas)

Any other recommendations for fun/interesting/beautiful sites to see?

Thanks in advance.

Tucson, AZ

Default Quite a Range of Possibilities!

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

While you can make it comfortably in either case, it will make a big difference whether you are doing this trip as a round-trip in 14 days or one-way in 21! In the former case, you won't have much time to add much to your already packed itinerary. In the later case, you can see quite a bit more. Also with a round-trip, you can spread out your stops on two somewhat different routes going and coming. The other big unknown in this trip is how you plan to fit in New Orleans, It's considerably off the line of the other places you plan to see. Depending on how much time you have and which way(s) you end up going, exactly, here are some other places I think you might like in that general area.

Philadelphia (history, museums, food)
    Washington (monuments, museums)

Nature & History:
    Shenandoah National Park

Skyline Drive
    Blue Ridge Parkway
    Natchez Trace Parkway

3. Default I have some ideas too!

On the way there:

+ Gettysburg

+ The US 52 along the Ohio River (You go up across the River from Huntington WV, then drive the US 52 along the Ohio River until you get into Cincinatti which is a city worth visiting, then get on the Interstate 71 down to Louisville.

On way home:

When going back to NYC from New Orleans, why not spend a day at the Florida panhandle where the whitest beaches in the world are, then go to the Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia, but bring lots of bug spray! After that, start going up the East Coast, stop at the city of Charleston and look at alot of history about the Civil Ware, then start driving up the US 17 into North Carolina, then go on a ferry to the Outer Banks and drive up that into Virginia, then take the US 13 through Virginia and drive up the bay bridge tunnel, and pass through Maryland and Delaware, then go up the Cape May-Lewes ferry up to New Jersey, then go up the Garden State Parkway to New York City.

Default some more details

First of all, thanks for your input.

In response to what AZ Buck said... we will most likely be doing a roundtrip in about 16-17 days. We planned to fit in New Orleans after Texas before heading back to NY. We also planned on stopping in Atlanta on the way back up north. We've already been to a lot of cities off of i95, including all of Florida, Baltimore, DC, and Philadelphia, so we were hoping to go another route.

Tucson, AZ

Default A Shade Ambitious

To include everything you've listed will require over 4000 miles of driving. That's not too bad for a two week driving tour, but it's a bit much for a trip during which it sounds like you want to spend a lot of time seeing things including cities and natural beauty. The most efficient way to do this is to take two different routes. Going down, take I-78/I-76/I-70/I-71/I-65/I-40 to Little Rock. After a short side trip up to Blanchard Springs Caverns, return to Little Rock and take I-30/I-35 to San Antonio. That routing hits most of your stated destinations. Then on the way home stay a bit farther south using I-10 through New Orleans to Mobile and then I-65/I-85 up to Atlanta. After Atlanta I-85/I-77 will take you to New River Gorge, and then US-60/I-81/I-78 will return you to New York while avoiding Washington and Philadelphia. But given your own list of things to do and the recommendations you've received. I don't think you can pack in what you've got on your plate already, let alone try to squeeze in more.