Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Mammoth to Las Vegas

Hi i'm from Wales in the UK. My boyfriend and i are hoping to go skiing in America next February we are thinking skiing in mammoth for a few days then drive down to Las Vegas. How long would the drive take and are there any things to do along the way? With it being winter time would there be any routes closed or would it be an easy drive? What is the apres ski like in mammoth? We like to have a good night out ofter skiing. Hope someone can help.

Default Skiing to Desert

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums! (Cymru am byth)

The drive from Mammoth to Las Vegas is about 675 miles over some 2- and 4-lane highway. Think A route rather than Motorway. It will take at least 12 hours of driving and so you will need to budget 2 days at a minimum. A good general area to spend the night along the way is the Virginia City - Lake Tahoe area. Then on the drive down to Las Vegas, if you have the time, a detour into Death Valley would be in order. Not being a skier myself (never had the ankles for it) I can't comment on Mammoth's night life, but I suspect they cater to their clientele.

AZBuck

Default Not so far to go...

...if I understand your question.

Hi,

I assume you mean Mammoth Mountain ski area near Mammoth Lakes, CA. If that is true, the distance is only about 350 miles or about 7-8 hours, using a route that takes you through Death Valley.

I highly recommend this route because Hwy 395 is a beautiful drive along the eastern front of the Sierra Nevada Mountains and it takes you through Lone Pine where you can see Mt. McKinley, the highest mountain in the "lower 48" states (not including Alaska and Hawaii). Of course, if you are flying into LA you'll be driving this route up to the ski area. Still scenery can look very different from the opposite direction.

If you don't want to go the entire drive from Mammoth to Las Vegas, an overnight in Death Valley, with some desert exploration, is fun.

There aren't any high passes or closed roads so the drive should be delightful (assuming the weather is cooperative).

As for nightlife in Mammoth, I couldn't say - haven't been there in winter. However, being the primary ski destination for folks from LA, I'm sure you'll find Mammoth Lakes to be an active place to party.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

4. Default Just a couple of notes...

If you come down on 395, you'll be passing the east side of Mt Whitney, the highest peak in the continental US. Mt McKinley,the highest peak in the US and in North America is in Alaska -- and a bit far to see from this route.

If you're coming out of the Mammoth Mountain Ski Area, you'll want to head south and east towards Las Vegas. That's about 300 miles to LV, and can be driven in about 6 hours or so. A good place to break up the drive is to overnight in Death Valley National Park. It's very possible to drive from Mammoth to LV in a day, including a few hours in Death Valley. From the center of Death Valley (Furnance Creek) figure about 3 hours to Las Vegas, although it can be done in less.

Reno/ Tahoe also has several good ski areas, but it's about 170 miles north of Mammoth, and about 3-4 hours drive -- but the wrong direction. If you're doing a ski tour, it would be cool to do both, but if you're heading from Mammoth to Las Vegas, it is quite out of the way.

Default Mammoth vs Mammoth

Thanks to Red Corral and Larrison for picking up the discrepancy. There is a small town in northern California, Mammoth, that I based my mileage estimates on. They are more likely right that you probably mean Mammoth Lakes, the ski resort which is considerably farther south. Only you know for sure which you mean. But you have advice for either.

AZBuck

Default Good bars

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    With it being winter time would there be any routes closed or would it be an easy drive? What is the apres ski like in mammoth? We like to have a good night out ofter skiing.
    Mammoth Mountain nearly always has some of the best powder in California. Great cornice runs. One huge caveat.... if we ever get a normal precip season again -- February can bring some massive amounts of snow in a single storm. One February of note -- we had to exit our friend's condo by climbing out of the second floor window and stamping a way out to parking lots. It took nearly seven hours to dig a path from the front door to the cars. Heck, it took me nearly an hour to even find my car....And the alarm was chirping at me the whole time. Once we reached US-395, the roads were nearly dry...

There are several places to apres ski in Mammoth. You won't be disappointed.

Mark

7. Default Mammoth/Vegas

Having lived and worked in Mammoth and done this drive numerous times by a variety of routes, let me give you a few options.

The fastest way between Mammoth and Vegas is 395 S to 168 at Big Pine. 168 runs over the White Mountains thru Westgard Pass (watch out for storms as this pass does close on occasion, but for no more than a few days) and passes thru the ancient bristlecone pine forest. Its quite a spectacular drive. 168 runs into 266 at "Oasis," which you take SW til it hits 95 (look for the brothel on the corner with its red light spinning on top), which you can then take south right into Vegas, passing thru Beatty on the way (watch for speedtraps). This route can take anywhere from 4.5 to 6 hours, depending on how fast you drive, and at what time of day.

In my opinion, the route through Death Valley is definitely more scenic, crossing the Whites, Panamints, and DV itself.

If you're intent on both Mammoth and Vegas, and you're renting a car, then why not fly into/out of Vegas and take both routes? If you have a couple days, leave Vegas heading West on I-15 to Baker. Check out the World's Biggest Thermometer. Then head North on 127, stopping to check out the massive Dumont Dunes on the right about 1/2 way to Shoshone.

Pass thru Shoshone on 127 and hang a left on 190 toward Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells, taking the time to enjoy DV in all its splendor.

After exploring the Valley, head West on 190/136 to Lone Pine. The view of Mt. Whitney coming over the Panamints/Whites into the salt flats at Lone Pine is great. Then head North on 395 to Mammoth. Return to Vegas via 395/168/266/95 as described above.

As far as nightlife, don't worry, you'll find it. Whiskey Creek and the bars in the Village provide lots of entertainment.

Oh, and as far as snow - the best is usually from late Feb. thru April. If you hit it right you can catch a great storm in Mammoth and get to see Death Valley in full bloom in the same trip!

Enjoy!

Also, check out the hot tubs/springs in Mammoth. Take 395 S to Benton Crossing Road (look for the Green Church on the left). The tubs are off the road after just a bit. Look here for more info.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-02-2007 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Preferred URL format herein & added link to RTA article about this route

Default Mammoth Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Spdfrk43 View Post
    As far as nightlife, don't worry, you'll find it. Whiskey Creek and the bars in the Village provide lots of entertainment.
    Thanks for the locals information and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! When was the last time you went to Hot Creek -- is it still fun to cross ski in during the winter? I see from your post above, that Hot Creek is closed entirely? Wow, that is some evidence that the caldera under Mammoth is really coming to life....

Mark

9. Default Mammoth Skiing

Hi i'm looking to ski in Mammoth during late March to April. We're looking at going for 2 weeks but we are not wanting to skii for the entire 2 weeks. Does anyone have any info on things we can do besides skiing? We don't mind a drive if needed. We like all sorts we are active people but love a little TLC too! Hope someone can help. xx
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-03-2007 at 05:03 PM.

Default Great hub location for road trips

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Does anyone have any info on things we can do besides skiing?
    Mammoth Lakes would make a great hub for some road trips. I would suggest you drive up to Virginia City (and stay overnight), sunset at the Bucket O' Blood Tavern is especially great in February, perhaps run to Lake Tahoe and enjoy some of the night life therein. Almost directly east of Mammoth is Tonopah, Nevada -- home to a really great mining museum. Mono Lake is otherworldly and quite fun to hike around. Ely, Nevada is another fun western town to drive to.

Mark