1. Default seattle to canada-drive or ferry

We will be visiting Seattle in the week between christmas and New years with our three sons (17,12,9) and I know there is alot to do in Seattle-we are planning to drive or take the ferry(s) to either Victoria or Vancouver. I know there is alot to see and do in both but we will only be there for a day. My 17 year old is obsessed with modern architecture (and is really looking forward to Seattle), which city would be better to see exciting buildings? What is that drive like?

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Oh, Canada

Greetings Logicaldog!

The drive up I-5 between Seattle and Vancouver, BC is a fairly easy one, it's all divided freeway up to just outside of Mount Vernon, WA, which it becomes two lanes in each direction until widening again towards the border. It'll take about 3 hours from Seattle in good traffic, and I'd expect some wait time at the border crossing (remember, new passport rules are going into effect soon).

From Seattle to Victoria though, there is no vehicle ferry, only a passenger ferry. The high speed catamaran ferry still takes several hours, but, your son might enjoy the old style architecture of Victoria, especially on the Capitol Grounds.

Seeing both cities in one day though will be difficult, and may not be possible, just simply due to the travel times.