1. Default Fastest Traffic Free Route from NY to Texas

Hi.
    I'm packing up the family (wife, kid and 2 cats) and heading from NYC to San Antonio TX. I am looking to find the best route, meaning least construction, highest speed limits, best road conditions, to get to TX.
    I'm not concerned about milage, just ease of driving. I don't want to sit in traffic, or drive over bumpy roads.

Thanks so much!

David

Default No Route is Going to Be Completely Hassle Free

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

But in your case, I-78 to Harrisburg, I-81 to Knoxville, I-75 to Chattanooga, I-59 to I-10 north of New Orleans and then I-10 on into San Antonio is your best bet. With the understanding that the Interstates are meant to connect cities, that's not to bad even though Houston is also on your route. Construction zones are, of course, subject to change, both for completions and new starts, so check in at the welcome centers as you enter a new state and see if they have an update and/or suggestions for detours. This route is just a shade over 1800 miles, so you might be able to pull it off in three days of very hard driving, but four would be far more relaxing.

AZBuck

3. Default

Thanks AZ Buck; Just to ask, why not the I81 to I40 to I30 route?

David

Default Because

The I-40/30/20/10 route is only 3 miles shorter but has you driving through the mountains of Tennessee in addition to the cities of Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock and Dallas. You did say you wanted ease of driving over mileage. I'd say not having to drive through all those cities is worth 3 extra miles.

AZBuck

5. Default

Oh yes..Thanks

David

Default Road Conditions

Here's a website that gives links to the different states' transportation sites. I tried Louisiana's, shockingly it was down, but the link to Texas had a lot of good information. It looks like you can search by roadway.

Hope this helps.

Laura

7. Default

Thanks IHUFF on the website for transporation sites. I am traveling from Michigan to Vegas the Northern route with a stopover in the Reno/Tahoe area and will difinetly use this site.
    Wanda

Default Also remember...

that the time of day will dictate what conditions will be. If you are driving during rush "hour" (which is from 7am - 10am and 2pm - 6pm where I commute), you are definitely going to encounter traffic, unless you are in a sparsely populated area. Being from NYC, you are surely intimately familiar with this!

I have found that most interstates are generally in decent condition, though I-81 in Pennsylvania is more bumpy on the right lane than in the left lane due to the underlying construction. It is a heavily traveled route, but I can only remember one time being stuck in traffic for any length of time, this past June in Virginia.

In some areas, you may find the routes paralleling the interstate to be more to your liking, though your certainly not going to find as high of a speed limit.

Also remember about the weather effect - an otherwise easy drive can be made quite different once the weather has changed. There can be some very bizarre behavior when even the wind changes.