View Poll Results: Where should Laura Go?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paris, Texas

2 25.00%
  • Natchitoches, LA and Nacodoches, TX

2 25.00%
  • Highway 80 in Louisiana

1 12.50%
  • The infamous Throw a Dart

3 37.50%

Default RTA Decides my Daytrip

Ok -I'm going to take a day off of work next week to make up for working two weekends in a row.

So, I've got several options and am indecisive. Here's where y'all come in.

Option 1
    Drive to Paris, Texas via Texas backsroads and just generally explore the area around Paris.

Option Two
    Explore the towns of Natchitoches, LA and Nacodoches, Texas. Both are very old towns dating from the time of the early French and Spanish Settlers in this area. Also - on the way the Natchitoches I keep seeing a sign for a Buffalo herd somewhere off the interstate. I'm rather intrigued.

Option Three
    Drive US Highway 80 east of Shreveport - could possibly make it to the Mississippi side and take the bridge mentioned in this article to Vicksburg and then turn around and come back via I-20. Highlights would be the bridge and 80 goes through or near Gibsland, LA where Bonnie and Clyde were shot. It's also near Mount Driskell which at a whopping 535 feet is the highest point in Louisiana.

Option Four
    Someone on here throws a dart at a map or has a brilliant idea of something they'd like me to check out in the general vicinity of East Texas, South Arkansas, Southeast Oklahoma (maybe) or North and Central Louisiana.

Default Ok - Not such a great idea

since I'm pretty much the only one who knows this area of the country. I'll just have to make a spur of the moment decision next week or play German Shepard Roullette. That is, lay out four dog treats for Rodney the Wonder Shepard, having previously designated in my head which one stood for which option and going to whichever location he eats first.

Actually German Shepard Roullette sounds pretty good.

Laura

Default I like option one

Something about the backroads of Texas seems intriguing. Of course, just about anything would be a nice break from the routine commute.

Yeah...hmmm. Gives me something to think about whilst I sleep.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Throw a Dart

Seriously! Take a map, and throw a dart. Or, just start driving, when you feel like it, change direction.

Default Don't know about...

...the other areas but Nakatish (the phonetic pronounciation), LA is a very charming town, and the entire area is steeped in history, as you noted. If you haven't been, I can highly recommend it as a destination.

If you would rather let the wind blow you where ever, that approach sounds like fun, too.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

Default German Shepherd Roulette!

I love it! I've never thought of letting my Belgian Shepherd be the decision-maker. Wherever I take her, she's cool with it. :-)

I think we have a lot in common, Laura....wanting to hide in a cabin, we have shepherds, roadtrips, etc. The only thing we don't share is car-racing. I just can't get into it. But my niece and my sister are flying back east in a couple of weeks to attend the wedding of Greg Biffle. Does that give me extra points? LOL

Well, I'm all for doing a meandering type trip to see where you end up. Are you taking your dog? Whenever you get to a major intersection, maybe you should go in whatever direction your dog is looking? That could get interesting!

Default Throw A Dart/Shepard Roullette

No Rodney is not coming. He'd probably love it, but he has no common sense and has a tendency to run away. He always comes back, but just can't seem to get in the groove of staying where he should. That's why he lives on a long run and a tether with lots of treats, his own dog house and his own personal tree.

The pug would be the best option for a roadtrip, but she hates the car and squeaks the entire time we're in it. :(

Oh well - I'll do shepard roullette tonight or tomorrow and let y'all know where I'm heading. If he chooses the throw a dart option - I'll let the pug decide by placing a map in front of her. This could get really wild.

Craig - I've been to Natchitoches several times, but it's been years since I've taken a day and explored it. In fact I'm heading there tonight to drop some stuff off for Intrepid who left behind all her books that she needs to finish up a paper for class. Doh!
    - But if you have any good recomendations for restaurants I'd love to hear about them. I'm not a big meat eater, so the Natchitoches meat pies are probably not on the menu for tonight.

Laura

Default Just in case...

...you get this in time.

Laura, We really enjoyed the place at the far end of downtown, past the visitor center, on the lake side of the street, that has the outdoor seating. I think it had red and white awnings, but don't hold me to that.

Good eating.

Craig

Default Natchitoches

Thanks for the tip Craig. I was actually eating at the time you sent your message. I wound up eating at a place called Papa's Bar and Grill on Front Street. Excellent food. The twice baked potato had chives and sour cream in it and I still can't figure out what they had done to the rolls. I think I could have eaten an entire meal out of rolls alone.

Sigh - this would be why I'm up 1/2 a pound on the scale this morning. But well worth it. :)

Laura

Default The Results of German Shepard Roullette

Highway 80 going East. Now I've just got to get a loose itenerary and I'll report back on it when I get back on Wednesday.

I did this game at like 3:15 am on Sunday after staying up to watch a Formula 1 race.

It does seem a bit silly to have this under the Fall Roadtrip section, though. It's still getting up into the 90s here on a daily basis. Blech - I was really hoping that at least some imitation of Fall would have started around here by now.
    Last edited by lhuff; 10-08-2007 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Fall Rant