Default (near) Vegas hotels in April

We are going to be in Vegas in Mid-April for a couple of days - both for sightseeing and for a convention. I have already checked out both commercial websites and the internal systems at work looking for hotel rooms and the prices are high (e.g $75 per night at the Golden Nugget) - it is a big convention.

Since we'll have a car we don't really have to stay on the strip. I know from experience how fun it is to be in the center of all the glitter - stayed in Stardust RIP in 1996 - but we can compromise here. Can anyone recommend nearby towns or off-strip locations we should check out? If it matters at all, we'll probably drive from L.A or San Diego.

Thanks,
    Loola

Default Downtown

I usually end up staying downtown when I visit Vegas, because I can find better deals there. I've also like the different feel that Downtown Vegas has, and with a car, you'll certainly have no problem getting to your convention or to the strip.

You could also possibly check out the places in Primm, out near the CA stateline, if you don't mind spending a good chunk of time driving 30 minutes between your hotel and your other destinations.

I was also interested in this. Seeing as Las Vegas is one of many locations, i don't want to spend a huge amount on a hotel here but at the same time i want to be able to absorb the unique atmosphere!

Can anyone add to Michael's recommendations?

Default City of Hospitality

Quote Originally Posted by englebert View Post
    I was also interested in this. Seeing as Las Vegas is one of many locations,
    There are so many motel/hotel choices here now, it pretty much boggles the mind. I haven't updated this list recently (I need to do that) but here is a list of some of those places.

For economy and still a very nice place to stay -- I would recommend South Point, Monte Carlo or the Tuscany Hotel. Excellent deals on all three. If you do decide to stay downtown -- Golden Nugget is the nicest and one of the very best deals with decent rooms is the Las Vegas Club.

Mark

Brilliant, thanks Mark!

Default Circus Circus?

Hi all,

On the same kind of topic, I'm looking for a cheap hotel (but clean) for 3 girls from Dec 1st to 4th. I've read mixed reviews of Circus Circus. Mark: I think you mentioned in an earlier thread that it was horrific! I've heard other people say it was decent: in what way is it horrific--the gaudy carnival decor or the actual rooms? I'm all up for the tack of Vegas and would rather stay on the Strip, not having been before. Can anyone reccomend it (or not!)?

Would also love some other suggestions: I've had a look on Yahoo and on some peoples earlier conversations here, but nothing seems to be quite as low as CC, and budget is one of our big factors. As recommended, las Vegas Club works out about the same, but looks like its a bit away from the strip: am I right in saying that?

Thanks,

Laina

Default LV Club not a good match with children

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlaina View Post
    I've read mixed reviews of Circus Circus. Mark: I think you mentioned in an earlier thread that it was horrific!
    Plenty of people like it and I have never stayed in the rooms (since I live here) but the common areas are just too gaudy and loud for my sensibilities.
    I'm all up for the tack of Vegas and would rather stay on the Strip, not having been before.
    If you want to stay on the strip, I would recommend the Monte Carlo or the Tropicana for decent rates. I still think the South Point has some of the best deals -- it is at the south end of the strip (but you won't get the same effect there).
    As recommended, las Vegas Club works out about the same, but looks like its a bit away from the strip: am I right in saying that?
    The LV Club is in the Fremont Street area (downtown Las Vegas. The famous Las Vegas Strip is NOT IN THE CITY OF LAS VEGAS) it is about five miles south of Las Vegas, the city. The LV Club is not really all that fun an environment for children.

There are hundreds of brand new motel rooms (mostly associated with the Marriott chain) just west of the Freeway and the strip. Lots of alternatives these days.

Mark