Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Shocks/Struts repair

Okay, I'm only bringing this here because I'm at work right now, and kind of can't make calls.

What is a reasonable cost for replacing shocks/struts for one axle on a average sedan? Just looking for a ballpark figure based off of previous experience.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default In the market too

I've looking to replace mine too on my SUV. I haven't changed them on this vehicle, and the last time I actually did it was on the car I owned a few years ago. My tires looked like sine waves by the time I fixed the problem.

Its going to depend upon if its shocks or struts that you have to replace, but you're going to be looking at around $150-200 typically. Plus you need to get an alignment to, which adds about $50.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Hmm.. I wonder if that's it

I'm beginning to wonder if that's even the problem at all then, I have a tire that keeps going flat on the rear that I need to take care of right away, but my main concern is the back end seems to be riding low... like only a hair wider than the width of a ruler between the tire and the wheel well in the rear. It's so close that I can't really see up under there to check for a nail.

Any other ideas what might be happening here?
    Last edited by RoadTripper Brad; 09-28-2007 at 01:59 PM. Reason: hair... not hare... no wabbits here.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default I think I figured my issue out

I don't think it's shocks, I think it's leaf springs:

WHY replace Leaf springs? There are several reasons to replace leaf spring:

Worn or sagging springs - Weak springs lower the chassis height of a vehicle, resulting in premature tire wear and poor handling characteristics.

Sagging when loaded - Vehicles used for family transportation, RV's, works trucks, or sales fleets can benefit from upgrading to heavier duty leaf springs.

Broken original springs - Certain vehicles have been known to have a very high failure rate of broken springs.

My car's chassis hight is low, but the shocks are responding just fine. The car does shimmy a bit when I hit 65 or higher (gets worse the faster I go). Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and get the leaf springs replaced and two new rear tires, before I have a blow out on the freeway.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default And the plot thickens

From what I'm seeing on my search of auto part websites, my 1991 Dodge Dynasty doesn't have leaf springs, only coil springs. So, I think at this time, we'll have to call in the expert. I'll keep you all posted.

6. Default An alignment might be all you need

When was the last time you had an alignment?

An alignment may be the only thing you need. If there is an axle problem, the alignment tech may be able to spot it.

I would grab a warrantied alignment either way. If the alignment doesn't fix the problem, then you should still have a 10,000 mile warranty on the alignment to get another one for free after you do more extensive suspension repairs.

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Steps

It hasn't been aligned in a while, but there are other more pressing things going on.

I've been in contact with my dad who is a 20 year veteran ASE Certified Mechanic, and we both came to the conclusion:

-1st, 2 new tires to replace one that keeps going flat on the rear, and have a new one on the other side.

-If this doesn't fix it or if it gets worse, price replacing rear shocks and doing a 4-wheeled alignment, and do what is ever financially possible first.

Although the Dynasty normally has a low-riding rear end, I'm not comfortable with the ride height, and although I'm not a mechanic, my father admits that if it's low enough for me to be concerned I should trust my instincts (I might not be able to fix it, but he taught me enough to be able to spot anomalies).

Thanks for the tip though! Much appreciated, as it keeps that option fresh on my mind!

8. Default

Have you taken a look at the shocks, any oil coming out of them? Simply pushing down on the each of corner of the car should let you know if one is dodgy.

Perhaps it would help to ask here?
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-02-2007 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Preferred URL format herein

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Update - Issue resolved!

Well, although I had to drive out to Gilbert to do it, I got the issues resolved. The culprit: bad rear tires. Not bald, just unable to hold maximum pressure, and they were probably off balance.

2 new BFGoodrich tires on the rear from Costco solved the unusual shake and shimmy that was occurring.

I inspected the bounce of the rear shocks, and although they probably will need replacing within the next year or so, they respond very well, so those have been ruled out. We also looked at the springs, and everything seems fine there as well.

The ride home went so well, except the normal old car shake, that I will be replacing the front tires with the same brand next month. I'm confident I can get to Flagstaff without issue, and this summer, Grand Teton and Yellowstone!

Thanks for everyone's help on this!

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Reminds me of....

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Brad View Post
    The culprit: bad rear tires.
    Another thing to check -- one time we had some odd shaking in the front of the Phoenix One -- turns out the lug bolts in the front tires had worked themselves loose. I always check the bolts on any vehicle I drive these days...