1. Default Help traveling from Los Angeles to Seattle

My wife and I are planning a road trip from Los Angeles to Seattle for 7 days. We'd like to stop and see Solvang and Sequoias. We're also going to go to a specific restaurant in San Jose, see the Jelly Belly factory over there and do some sightseeing in San Fransisco. But I really need more suggestions on what else can we see along the way. What places would you recommend to stay, see and eat? Also is 7 days enough time to see things, enjoy and be able to drive back?

Thanks in advance

Default Did you get married?

Quote Originally Posted by AmazingRandy View Post
    My wife and I are planning a road trip from Los Angeles to Seattle for 7 days.
    The last time we discussed a similar trip with you, she was your fiance...
    We'd like to stop and see Solvang and Sequoias.
    Is this coming and going? Because Solvang is near the coast and the Sequoia National Monument is in the Sierras.
    We're also going to go to a specific restaurant in San Jose, see the Jelly Belly factory over there
    The Jelly Belly factory (which is quite cool) is in Fairfield.
    Also is 7 days enough time to see things, enjoy and be able to drive back?
    It should be fine, although you need to curtail some of the zig-zagging.

Mark

Default Sorry...

The quick answer is no. If you want to enjoy the wonderful northern CA and Oregon coasts, you will need a minimum of two days to do the portion from San Francisco to Seattle. And, at that pace, there are a lot of things you'll have to whizz by that are worth exploring. Even 3 days is pushing it. Four would make a nice trip.

Seattle is worth at minimum one, long day.

And you will need 2 days to zip home down I-5. And, again, this is minimum and means you won't have any time to explore anything along the way.

So, based on minimums 2 days up and 2 days back, that's 4 days right there.

Things to see and do? I suggest you use the search feature for more ideas but here's a very short list (and I'm leaving lots of good stuff out):

Northern CA: Napa Valley, Point Reyes National Seashore, Eureka, Redwoods, Crescent City

Oregon Coast: Oregon Dunes National Rec Area, Sea Lion Caves, Gold Beach, Bandon by the Sea, Depoe Bay, Cannon Beach, Three Capes Scenic Drive, several terrific lighthouses, Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport, Otter Crest Loop, Devil's Punchbowl, Boiler Bay, Tillamook Cheese Factory (and yummy ice cream!), Fort Clatsop

Seattle: waterfront, Ye Olde Curiousity Shoppe, Public Market, EMP, Museum of Flight, Fremont District, Underground Tour, Pioneer Square

On the way home down I-5: Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens!!!!!!, Columbia River Gorge, Mt. Hood, Portland (a beautiful city, too), Oregon Gardens with Frank Lloyd Wright designed home, Eugene, Ashland, Crater Lake, Oregon Caves, Mt. Shasta

OK, I don't want to discourage you from taking your trip. I just hope that you can either carve out more time so you don't just whistle-stop past all this good stuff! Or plan a shorter trip with a closer turn-around point. Or don't plan any end destination at all and just enjoy meandering and seeing what you can see. These are often the best kind of trips anyway.

Please let us know how we can help you further.

4. Default Yes! We got married!!! and...

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    The last time we discussed a similar trip with you, she was your fiance... Is this coming and going? Because Solvang is near the coast and the Sequoia National Monument is in the Sierras. The Jelly Belly factory (which is quite cool) is in Fairfield.
    It should be fine, although you need to curtail some of the zig-zagging.

Mark
    she's expecting!!! I'm gonna be a dad!!! It's going to be a girl.

I am surprised you remembered me! We were going to take a road trip for our honeymoon but ended up canceling it. Because she had family and friends she hadn't seen in a long time and I felt maybe it'd be good if we pushed it back a bit and just got caught up with loved ones while they were in town. So now, here we are. Looks like I will have to keep it to northern California and possibly Oregon. I'll review my old post and get back to you guys on what we plan to do. thanks all!

Default Congratulations!

You're about to go on an amazing journey...even better than a road trip! :)

6. Default Wow what a year

Hi everyone,

Sorry I didn't update everyone on how my trip went. Boy it's been a while since my last post! Looks like it's been a year or so. We ended up following Judy's advice and cut the distance much shorter.

We couldn't find a place to stay in Solvang. Even my favorite restaurant was closed down. So we decided to drive north for about another hour. We ended up staying in the Mission Inn at Pismo Beach. Not a bad place. The room was decent and the view was great during breakfast.

Then we made it to Heart Castle. Not a bad tour. I didn't care too much for the art. I did like Neptune Pool, the Indoor pool and the egyptian pieces and some of the roman pieces. What struck me was the amount of famous, historical figures that visited. I guess that is was makes it a historical monument. I do wonder about all the stories that occured on the property. Erryol Flynn was kicked out for breaking 'the rules'.

Then we headed to San Fran. We ate at Scomas, not a bad place. The food was fresh. Still not as good as that place I tried in Monterey Bay, near the aquarium at the head of the T-intersection. But, my wife loves that place.

Then We made it to Fairfield. Not a bad place there is a decent mall we went to the Jelly Belly Factory. It was fun seeing how Jelly Bellys are made. I couldn't get a picture of the factory floor. But we got pictures of the outside and some pictures of the reception area.

Then We left for the Sequoias soon afterwards. We ended up staying in Fresno for the evening. We ate at an Indian Restaurant called Brahma Bull. On Shaw Street the exit from the 99.

I was worried about the accomadations at the Sequoias. My wife is a clean freak. The last time we went camping she hated it, she cried. So I was a little concerned how she'd fair out there. The first place we checked my wife hated. I ended up drving deep into the forest and found a place called Wuksachi Lodge. My wife loved it. We ended up staying in that area for a couple days. I was so surprised she liked the area so much. It became one of her favorite places on our visit.

My wife and I enjoyed our road trip so much we are planning another one in Nov. Which I'll talk about in my next post. Thank you all for helping making the trip so wonderful.

Default Nice to see you back here

Yep, almost exactly a year between posts...

Sounds like you had an excellent adventure -- one with plenty of new experiences and discoveries.

Thanks for coming back and sharing.

Mark

Default Glad you had a great time

Thanks for sharing!

We'll look forward to helping you with your next trip.