Thread: NJ to TN by RV

1. Default NJ to TN by RV

I am planning a 10 day RV trip from Central NJ to the Great Smoky Mountains TN for late June 08. I was hoping to drive as much of the Blue Ridge Parkway as possible with a one night stay in VA - possibly an RV park in Staunton. From there I plan on ending up in an RV park in the Gatlinburg area. I have read that it can take 3-5 days to drive the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parway and should plan on travelling at speeds of 30 MPH. I was hoping to get to TN in two days. I dont know if that is possible unless I forgo some portion of the Parkway. This will only be my second RV trip, any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-25-2007 at 09:03 AM. Reason: typo

Default Average speed is 30 mph in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    I am planning a 10 day RV trip from Central NJ to the Great Smoky Mountains TN
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! If this is a rental RV, here are a couple of articles that you really ought to read and a book review about renting RV's that might be helpful as well:

How to rent a RV -- the Book
    How to rent a RV -- the article
    What to look for when you pick up the rental RV
    Camping options
    Boondocking options
    I have read that it can take 3-5 days to drive the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parway and should plan on travelling at speeds of 30 MPH
    That is about right -- some parts of the parkway have faster speed limits, but an average speed of 30 mph sounds about right.

Mark

Default Not a through route, instead a destination of its own

joeg-
    Lots of people consider the Parkway a destination in and of itself. It truly does not lend itself to be used as a through route.

My sense is that 30 mph average is as good as it's likely to get. Unless there have been changes in recent times, nowhere does the Parkway have a speed limit in excess of 45 mph. While wide enough to be comfortable in a RV, curves are tight and innumerable, and there are lots of elevation changes to deal with. Traffic in summer and fall can be heavy, and it can be difficult to enjoy the excellent scenery with a handful of steering wheel, especially a rig you're not intimately familiar with.

That said, it's entirely possible to start at I-64 (Rockfish Gap) on Day 2, at the northern end of the Parkway, and just stay aboard as long as your travel time budget will allow, then jump off to the Interstate for the balance of the second day. For virtually all of the Parkway's Virginia section, I-81 roughly parallels to the west, and there are EZ access points to I-81 at US 460, Roanoke, and I-77. I-81 is as close as 10 miles in places and rarely, if ever, farther than about 25 miles from the Parkway from I-64 down to I-77. South of I-77, the Blue Ridge Mountains become much wider, and it's more of a hike to get back over to I-81.

Similarly, you can run farther on Day 1, down to Boone-Blowing Rock, NC, via faster routes, and take the bottom half of the Parkway to Asheville and I-40 over to Gatlinburg. This section gives you higher elevations along the Parkway and provides access to Grandfather Mountain and Mount Mitchell, among other great sights to see.

Hope this helps

Foy in NC