1. Default Driving from El Paso to Los Mochis via Agua Prieta or Nogales

I'm planning a trip in October from El Paso to Los Mochis pulling a 26ft Travel trailer.
    Would it be worthwhile to cross the border at Agua Prieta and drive Mexico 22 thru Cananea to Imuris and connect with Mexico 15 or take Interstate 10 to Tucson and then cross at Nogales.
    I drove Mexico 22 about 15 years ago and it was pretty bad. Has any improvements been made, if so, would it be advisable to travel this highway with a trailer.
    No problem with the permits, i've obtained them in Juarez. (Tourist Visa,Car Permit and Travel Trailer which is now valid for 10 years).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Baja_Bum

Default Not positive it has been paved

Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Bum View Post
    Would it be worthwhile to cross the border at Agua Prieta and drive Mexico 22 thru Cananea to Imuris and connect with Mexico 15
    I haven't driven that section of Federal Highway 2, I know that Highway 2 between Sonoyta and the Colorado River is still gravel and very rough. I sure wouldn't take a trailer on that section! I just can't remember what I have heard of the highway between Agua Prieta and MEX-15. I would love to hear what you find -- but I think I would suggest proceeding to Nogales.

However, and this is important -- do not use the main gate at Nogales (on I-19, it is usually jammed and trying to tow a trailer through there will drive you batty). Instead, what I recommend is proceeding west on AZ-80 from Douglas and then west on AZ-90 at Bisbee and turning west on AZ-82. When you reach the Nogales are, take North Business 19 and turn left at the second traffic light -- this will put you on AZ-189 south and you will go through the Mariposa Gate. The crossing is open daily from 6AM to 10PM, but is much less constricted, making it easier to get through with your trailer.

Please, let us know what you find down there!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-12-2007 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Corrected the highway number

Default Nogie

I've crossed the border at both locations, and think sticking to the Interstates to Nogales would be your best bet. I'm not sure of the road conditions on the Mexican roads you will be using, but I think you'll want to stay in the US as long as you can, and I-10 and I-19 are must nicer than the roads you'd need to get down to the border at AP.

4. Default

However, and this is important -- do not use the main gate at Nogales (on I-19, it is usually jammed and trying to tow a trailer through there will drive you batty). Instead, what I recommend is proceeding west on AZ-80 from Douglas and then west on AZ-90 at Bisbee and turning west on AZ-82. When you reach the Nogales are, take North Business 19 and turn left at the second traffic light -- this will put you on AZ-89 south and you will go through the Mariposa Gate.
    Good Advice, Nogales is the route i'll take

Thanks Herman
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-29-2007 at 09:29 AM. Reason: format for clarity