Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cross-country October '07

Hi all,

First of all, let me thank you for all the great tips I've found so far on this website!
    I'm planning on doing a road trip myself, after I finish my internship here in Ossining, NY (which will be on October 7). In short, I'm planning to drive the following route:

From Ossining via Niagara Falls to Toronto, then continue to Chicago. (On this leg my brother will join me, the remainder will be solo..)
    Then from Chicago down Route 66 all the way to Flagstaff, then Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and then via Death Valley and Yosemite to San Francisco, where I have a flight back to The Netherlands on October 30.
    I've put a somewhat rough outline here.

Sounds like a fun trip, right? I already got quite some info (including road atlas, route 66 guide and hotel guide). The only issue I have at the moment is the car rent, which is quite expensive due to the one-way drop-off fee, under-age fee and liability insurance. So does anyone have suggestions for an affordable rental company?
    I have looked into buying and selling a car, but that's too much hassle (if possible at all). And I'm currently inquiring at 'Adventures on Wheels', which seems cheaper than the more well-known companies.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Also for must-sees along my route, or scenic routes (I'm especially looking for one between Toronto and Chicago).

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-22-2007 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Preferred URL format herein

Default Three weeks will be pushing it

Quote Originally Posted by Brave View Post
    First of all, let me thank you for all the great tips I've found so far on this website!
    You are welcome and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    the remainder will be solo..)
    Here are some solo roadtripping tips:
    First-timer solo adventurer
    Camping and solo roadtripper
    Judy's Tips
    Then from Chicago down Route 66 all the way to Flagstaff, then Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and then via Death Valley and Yosemite to San Francisco,
    It does sound like a grand adventure. Be sure to look at this site for Route 66 tips and info and the RTA resource links page.
    The only issue I have at the moment is the car rent, which is quite expensive due to the one-way drop-off fee, under-age fee and liability insurance. So does anyone have suggestions for an affordable rental company?
    Not really, it really is one element of the trip cost that doesn't offer many bargains.
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Also for must-sees along my route, or scenic routes (I'm especially looking for one between Toronto and Chicago).
    Here are some suggestions for places to stop and explore between Toronto and Chicago!

Happy Planning!

Mark

Ok, thanks for the tips, and for the quick response!

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Not really, it really is one element of the trip cost that doesn't offer many bargains.
    That's too bad.. Well, it's probably a once-in-a-lifetime experience (as I'm not from the US), so I'll do the trip anyway.

I heard that car rental companies sometimes need their cars driven to other locations and they rent out those cars very cheap. I've only found one such thing (at Hertz), but it was from Florida. Is there a place on the internet to find such info, or what is the technical term for it? (At Hertz it was called 'drive out', but Googling on that doesn't give any useful results.)

Default Not advertised very much

Quote Originally Posted by Brave View Post
    I heard that car rental companies sometimes need their cars driven to other locations
    It happens twice a year -- right before snow falls and in early spring. But I have never seen a public posting for such opportunities -- generally you need to call around and see if such a thing is available. If you do call -- do not call the airport offices -- call a neighborhood outlet -- they are much more likely to know and be helpful to you for this specialized bit of advice. Better yet, go to the offices wherever you are now and strike up a conversation with the staff....

Mark

Default Rental cars underaged and drop off

Hi, I read about your rental car problem and I wondered if you did compare prices for renting in the USA and renting from the Netherlands.

It feels a bit strange to write this reply in English to someone who is Dutch too, but well, you will understand why. Most of the time it's cheaper for Dutch people to rent a car through a Dutch company or website, because the insurancesrates are a lot lower if you have a Dutch drivers-license. I don't know if you have an American license.

I think Adventure on Wheels is one of the well known companies for coast to coast rentals or other drop offs. We will pickup our rental RV for our next trip (next week) at their New Jersey-location. We rent it from Road Bear RV's, but Adventure on Wheels takes care of their New York-business.

Default let us know how it goes!

Welcome to the RTA Forum, Nieuwenoord!

Thanks for sharing your info, and please let us know how things go with Adventures on Wheels. We've heard a lot about their service, but not many people have stopped back to give us a review of how things went after the fact.

Hi Nieuwenoord,

Yeah I've looked (briefly) at rentals through Dutch companies, but you'll have to pay the drop-off fee and under-age fee anyway ($1000 and $700 resp.), and the insurance is only ~$200, so that doesn't really help. But thanks for the help anyway!

I'll probably go with Adventures on Wheels also, I just have to look if there are no hidden fees. I'm looking forward to hear about your experience with them! And enjoy your trip!

Default Travel-report

Hi Brave,

Well, we will start our trip on Oct. 3 from Adventure on Wheels, Middletown, NJ. I will write a travel-report on my weblog every day. If you're interested, all in Dutch of course.

Greetings,
    Monique
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-23-2007 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Preferred URL Format herein

Perhaps one of you can find time to post a summary on this site, in English? It'd be appreciated, I am sure.

My travel blog will be on the same yahoo website as in my first post. It'll (probably) be in English.

By the way, if anyone likes to join some part of the trip between Chicago and San Francisco, just let me know! I'm not a taxi driver though, I'm not driving to cities as fast as possible. But if anyone needs a ride without hurry and doesn't mind some sightseeing, I have seats left in the car!

Regards,
    Bram