1. Default New York to St Louis

From Ireland and planning a road trip from New York to St Louis in late October. I was thinking of a 'direct route' using interstate I81, I78, I76, I70, I55 and I64. However, friends living in St Louis advise that this route is slightly 'boring' (lots of corn fields!!!)from the scenic point of view.
    We (wife and two teenager girls) are hoping to see some 'classic' americian midwest scenery so I am hoping that people on this board can help us out. We plan on taking 2.5/3 days to cover the trip.
    Should I plan a more southern route then cut across to St Louis??

Tucson, AZ

Default Mountains, Rivers, Caves and Classic Midwest Scenery

Céad Míle Fáilte!

The most direct route from New York to St. Louis is I-78/I-76/I-70 at just over 950 miles. So that would take two days anyway. The question is: What can you get to see with an extra half day? The answer is: Quite a lot, I think. Try this route, which at 1180 miles makes the most of your available third day.

Leave New York on I-78 and head for Harrisburg, PA joining I-81 south. That will take you down the eastern side of the Appalachian Mountains. If time permits, you can take a detour up on to the spine of the mountains and follow the Blue Ridge Parkway. Just be aware that this a slow, 2-lane scenic byway. You can also stop at some distinctly southern towns along the way such as Lexington, VA. At the very southern tip of Virginia, turn west on US-58 through the historic and beautiful Cumberland Gap. Then US-25 north will connect you with I-75 north for just a bit up to London, KY where you'll get on KY-80 for a cross-country drive through the Bluegrass State. This will bring you into the vicinity of Mammoth Cave. Again, if you have the time, it's worth taking one of the many tours of the cave system. From Bowling Green, KY, take the Green River Parkway north to Owensboro, then US-231, IN-66 and I-164 will take you around Owensboro, KY and Evansville, IN to I-64 into St. Louis.

If you choose this route, you will have to keep an eye on how you're progressing, and make sure that by the end of day 1 you're near Lexington, VA; and near London, KY at the end of day 2 in order to make sure that you're in St. Louis at the end of day 3.

Central California

Default A second

I second the vote for spending as much time in Virginia and Kentucky as possible. The mountains are beautiful and the green grass and horse farms in KY will make you think of home. As you can see, there are several places where you can cross the Appalacians south of Pennsylvania. They are all beautiful. Unfortuately, you won't have time for some of the historic stops like President Jefferson's home, Monticello, near Charlottesville, Virgina, unless you can add in an extra day, but maybe next time.

Have a great time.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years