Default Clean safe Mom & Pop motels in KY and near Evansville, IN

Hi all,
    My friend and I are planning a road trip in the next month. We are specifically looking for places which will soon be gone. Americana. Kitch. Do you have a Mom & Pop motel in your town that is clean and safe?

It would be a dream to find a clean tourist court with little individual cottages. SOmething that Duncan Hines would have been proud to put his approval on. (Actually, I have found a few places in his book that appear to still be running...but I have no way of knowing if they are safe or clean.)

It would be nice to find something that screamed 40s-70s, but doesn't have a liquor store next door...

Yes, I'm shooting for the moon.
    But, it never hurts to ask.
    And, yes, the entire state of Kentucky is up for grabs, as well as most of Indiana.

Thanks in advance!
    Dana

Default More nostalgia than meets the bed

Quote Originally Posted by Dana67 View Post
    My friend and I are planning a road trip in the next month. We are specifically looking for places which will soon be gone. Americana. Kitch.
    Unfortunately, from my perspective anyway, such places will be around for another 50+ years. These days I rate good, reliable high speed internet and a comfy bed ahead of any other considerations. Also, even corporate-like motels are run, by and large, by individual owners and family members. I agree that staying at "Mom & Pop" motels can be an adventure, just not one I am keen on experiencing. But there are many on this Forum that would embrace your love of old-style lodging so welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Here are some of the books we recommend for Americana pursuits. Andrew Woods wrote another book that you might find helpful in your quest.

Mark

Default Back in the Day

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Before the advent of the Interstates and rampant motel chains, this is what outfits like AAA, Mobil and, as you point out - Duncan Hines, did so well. Rate all the little one-of-a-kind motels and restaurants. To a large extent, this service is still provided although you will have to sort through all the descriptions and ratings of the chain outlets to find what you want. For example, I used the TripTik function on the AAA web site to find two possibilities near Evanston. Both are in Kentucky, and neither is exactly what you're looking for, but perhaps will do. The first is a cabin in John James Audubon State Park and the second is a B&B in Henderson, KY. From my experience, if you're looking for personal service from the owners, B&Bs are now largely filling the niche that motor courts used to. Perhaps you should widen your search to include them. And Mark, many if not most offer wi-fi access.

AZBuck

Default Prefer Cat-10 when possible

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    And Mark, many if not most offer wi-fi access.
    AZBuck, actually it is getting rarer and rarer to find any lodging place without Wi-Fi, but I prefer hard-wired access when I can find it. Ideal would be Cat-10 (I only know of one such place -- in Redmond about a mile from the Microsoft campus) but many places now supply both Cat-6 cable access directly into a T-1 or DSL and Wi-Fi. The problem I have with a lot of these Wi-Fi set-ups at Mom & Pop places is that they rarely upgrade the source service beyond dial-up. Pretty silly to advertise Wi-Fi "high speed internet" and then connect at dial-up speeds.

I have stayed at hundreds of motels and campgrounds over the years -- I usually remember the places based on my memories of the people, I met there and/or those that were my hosts -- There is a campground near you that, although not a motel, does offer tent rentals and the owners are some of the nicest people on earth. It is known as Honey Bear Hollow and also has one of the nicest 18-hole Frisbee golf courses in the land. If you go, please say howdy to Bob & Toni Billetz for me!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-22-2007 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added reference to Honey Bear Hollow

Default Well, I like mom'n pops myself!

I used to have a link to a website for them to advertise themselves but I can't find it. I'll keep looking. (see the next post perhaps...)

Unusual Hotels of the World lists some of the fun and funky, kitschy places you might like but not all of their listings fit this category. It's still worth checking out.

Default Mom & Pop Motels

Default You saved me, Mark!

That was just the website I was looking for! Judy