1. Default Grand Canyon to Monument Valley to Albuquerque

I am going on a one month drive from Los Angeles to Chicago, starting in just a few days. I had the trip all planned, but now I want to try to include Monument Valley as well.

Originally I planned to spend two days driving from Grand Canyon South Rim to Albuquerque, spending the night in Holbrook.

Now I am pondering if I can spend those two days driving 160 from Grand Canyon to Kayenta and then following 163 through Monument Valley and then to Albuquerque. What I am uncertain about is how to get from Monument Valley to Albuquerque, and where to spend the night. I guess I could follow 191 down to I40 (spending the night in Chinle for instance), or I could drive to Shiprock and follow 491 down to I40 at Gallup, but don't know where would be a natural half-way-point to spend the night.

Any suggestions on a nice route from north side of Monument Valley down to Albuquerque and a good place to spend the night?

I've never been in in these areas, and I am trying to plan this with google maps and various other web pages, so I may be completely off on distances and driving times...

Tucson, AZ

Default One Alternative

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You can certainly get from the Grand Canyon to Albuquerque in two days, even throwing in a drive through Monument Valley. You've got the part about US-160 and US-163 up through the Valley correct. What you'd then do is go about 5 miles past US-191 and take UT-162 east into Colorado, where CO-41 would put you back on US-160 a few miles east of Four Corners. Your best option for an overnight spot is Farmington, NM. If you have the time either in the evening or the next morning, a small side trip to Mesa Verde National Park (west on US-160) is in order. From Farmington down to Albuquerque is an easy drive on US-550, a scenic 4-lane highway.

3. Default

Thank you and thank you!

That was exactly the information I was looking for, so now I've got my hotel reservation changed to Farmington and can't wait to get on the road. :)

I'll definitely take a look at Mesa Verde and see if we can squeeze that in.

Thank you again!