1. Default Chicago to San Diego Christmas time

Hi -- My wife and I and big dog are driving from Chicago to San Diego over the last 2 weeks in December. Need some good, mostly interstate routes that have the best chance of avoiding our getting stuck in bad winter weather. Also, would like some suggestions as to really nice dog-friendly places about half-way along to stay for Christmas eve and day. Thanks, Phil

Default Shortest is always the best

Quote Originally Posted by phileaton View Post
    Hi -- My wife and I and big dog are driving from Chicago to San Diego over the last 2 weeks in December.
    Generally the last two weeks of December tend to be storm-free once you get beyond the lake effect of Chicago (there are always exceptions, of course), which is why ought to carry a Weather radio and/or CB. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Generally, shortest route is also generally best -- I would suggest I-70 or I-80 and then I-15 (staying away from I-40, which can be notorious that time of year in Texas and New Mexico).

Most states use the 511 system for weather conditions -- here are some of the tools I use.

Here, too are some tips for traveling with your dog.

Mark

Default reading the future

Welcome to the RTA forum!

You've got 3 main routes, I-80, I-70, or I-40. All of them will be pretty similar distance wise, and any of them could be subject to weather. The key to driving long distances in the winter is pretty basic, watch the forecast and try to drive where the storms aren't. Along those lines, you should give yourself a little extra time in case storms force you to slow or even stop for a while.

As far as traveling with a dog goes, I'm not totally sure I understand your question. When you say you are looking for a place about half way, that doesn't mean you are planning to do this entire drive in 2 days, does it?

Regardless, there is a good guidebook for pet friendly hotels in the Traveling with Pets section of the RTA website.

4. Default

Many thanks for good advice Mark. We're planning on stopping for Dec 24-26 somewhere really nice and dog-friendly a bit over halfway to San Diego. I could use suggestions of possibly suitable resorts. Phil

5. Default

Thanks Michael. We're planning on stopping for Dec 24-26 somewhere really nice and dog-friendly a bit over halfway to San Diego. I could use suggestions of possibly suitable resorts. We're schedule roughly 2 weeks for whole trip including some 2 day stopovers here and there.

6. Default

Mark -- I forgot to ask what's the problem with I-40?

Default I-40

I-40 can get some really bad Ice Storms, and late December could be prime time to see one of those storms. I'd say your odds of seeing bad weather could be a little worse on I-40 because of that, but it could be clear sailing down there, with heavy snow to the north. It just depends on the exact time you are traveling.

The links we provided above include recommendations for guidebooks focusing on pet friendly resorts. I think you'll get your best advise for Dog friendly resorts there.